Sign in to follow this  
Talc

stupid diesel question

Has there ever been a supercharged diesel manufactured? if not why not?

Is that a stupid question?!?!? :?

I believe the Merc Sprinter vans are charged up? it would explain the air intake on the side of the wing. and their ability to stick to the car infront nomatter what speed they are doing. :)

i think superchargers were suited to diesel engines due to the way power is delivered, diesels have more low down power than petrols and not much at the top end, hench why a turbo is used in place of a supercharger, (to create a wider powerband) correct? or am i talking balls?

Yeah I just got my nice new VW LT46 with a huge turbo on it (158 BHP)

This thing fairly takes of for a van, then you get to 57mph and the limiter kicks in :mad:

My boss played up the fact that it was 158 BHP but failed to tell me that limiters are compulsory as of the 1st jan :(

Back on topic, we also have a Sprinter in our fleet and it has a Turbo the same as the VW vans.

IIRC the Mazda 626 diesel or maybe the Xedos 6 diesel from the early-mid 90's had a supercharged diesel engine............didn't sell well tho,and it was piss poor performance compared to comparable TD's of the time

IIRC, from my IC angines lectures years ago, diesels are ideally suited to Turbos because of the vast amount of very hot exhaust, compared to a petrol, and the low down torque. Basically, the exhaust energy is captured by the turbo, and shoved into the intake, rather than being lost. Thats why TD's are more efficient (energy in / energy out, not MPG) than NA diesels. A supercharger would sap flywheel power, and waste exhaust energy.

A while ago, Honda or Nissan came up with a concept car/mobile office thing using an adiabatic diesel engine, e.g. no cooling system, ceramic cylinders, and very hot exhaust that drovw several turbines, one for the intake turbo, and a couple to run additional altenators, to power the office.

On a tangent, the new Golf petrol GT uses a 1.4 engine, with a turbo and a charger, making about 148 BHP, and pretty good mpg.

Phil

Although a long while back, I believe Henny was contemplating putting one together....

chubbybrown, amen to the intercooled turbos! :-)

yup, I was... I'm still playing with the idea, but I may well keep the turbo too... :twisted: :lol:

(bought a 60mm pulley for the project already! :lol: )