Sign in to follow this  
howlingvr6

Engine Cutting Out

Hi I have a 1995 VR6, when I start it form cold, it starts for half a second and then the revs drop and it cuts out. I then restart it give it a bit more throttle and its ok.

I have changed the blue sensor,spark plugs and ignition leads but it did not cure the problem

any suggestions as to where to look next ??

cheers

Check out your ISV. Mine had the same prob, so I cleaned the ISV and made sure it wasn't stuck. Slight improvement, but still not great. Removd the ISV pipework, and discovered that the sponge from inside the black plastic pot behind the ISV had been sucked into one of the pipes. Removed it, and it hasn't remotely looked like stalling since :)

At the back of the engine under the black plastic lead guide/cover near the throttle body. It's attached to a black plastic 'pot' which has some pipework. You can remove it without removing the plastic cover, but it's more fiddly. Removal is easy- one electrical plug and two hoses which will have jubilee or spring clips. 10 mins max :)

From much experience on here, if the coilpack of the VR6 is still the original one, it is best replaced. Due to the great heat it is exposed to, the component develops hairline cracks in its plastic bit of the case and arcing and misfires result, particularly in damp conditions.