mr.ots

Why does my gearstick vibrate?

I've just mentioned this question on my thread, I also have a 95 Storm.

Exactly the same faults as above and I just want to know how to fix it. I also one evening replaced all engine mounts and did all the bushes and the vibration was still there.

How have others got on with this now?

The problem is not where you think it is....... Its the gearbox itself.

There is the gearbox input selector shaft (02A 301 233 F) and its mounting housing (02A 301 231H - gearshift housing) on the top of the gearbox. That is the component that the gear change cables connect to on top of the gearbox. The reversing light switch sit on top of it. It goes up/down to select across the gate in the centre console, Fully depressed is R stroke line, fully up is 5th stroke line. And front back swing to get the gears, R, 1, 3 & 5 are rearwards, 2 & 4 are forwards.

On the VR6 (2.8 ltr & 2.9 ltr), this shaft is different to other engine's Corrados. There is ball bearing in the side of the shaft which has been recessed. This could have worn a depression in the side of the gearshift housing side wall. And late VR6 1995 have a softer side wall.

Three things come to mind......

1) the little retaining spring that retains the detent ball bearing has rusted away or become weak.

2) the ball bearing has fallen out.

3) the ball bearing has worn the seating area so that tolerarances and position retention have become slacker.

I just wonder if the 1995 batch of VR6 gearboxes had a ball bearing seating that is softer then previous, leading to increased wear and thus not holding the gear selector tigher in place.

On my gearbox I have no rattle at 44,000 miles. If I put the car into 1st gear (or any other), the selector moves with ease if used in the engine bay, but when in 1st gear (or any other), its sits tightly in the gear position. ie. it is restricted from rattling.

Perhaps someone checks if their's is the same or is in fact slack when seated. ie. there is some free play movement before the selector shaft starts to move the gear in the gearbox.

Thats one reason.

==========

Another is a batch of reverse gear selector fork springs are weaker than previously in the 1995 VR6's. This is part 02A 311 548A.

Because it is weak, it doesn't push the reverse gear selector fork with the sliding reverse gear far enough away along the shaft and its allowing the reverse gear to rub up against the 1st gear. Or its not able to push the sliding reverse gear out of the way far enough as the spline has gunged up a little with age.

Gearbox apart to get at this one! It located behind the starter motor inside the gearbox.

This is more likely the cause of the rattle.

Maybe worth putting in some clean gear oil "cleaner", ie. G51. To see if it will clean the sliding reverse gear splines and allow the spring to push the reverse gear away from the 1st gear.

G51 is the standard higher temperature detergent gear oil that VW use in the gearbox and was filled at the factory for the later 02A gearbox when fitted to the VR6, when it was introduced. Those with the rattle, have you refilled with another brand of 75w90 gear oil by any chance?

My gearbox is using G51 as factory original, not changed since new.

Edited by RW1

I did the oil change on the gearbox 6 months ago, drained and re filled with VW gear oil specific to the car. I do have movement once 1st gear is selected, quite a bit of forward travel that does noting.

It is annoying me and sounds like a ford siera rwd, those gear sticks vibrate for England! Its a bummer to have to drop the gearbox! Anyone since fixed this issue as it was posted a while back?

I did the oil change on the gearbox 6 months ago, drained and re filled with VW gear oil specific to the car. I do have movement once 1st gear is selected, quite a bit of forward travel that does noting.

At the gearbox?

Don't confuse further movement with what one might call "bearing free play". I have forward movement beyond the 1st gear in selection but at the point of "in gear", there is only a very, very, very slight movement. ie. it won't rattle. And thats because there is a slight slackness in the gear cable attachments. So the gear stick is isolated from this selector shaft.

Kev - the other thing thats missing from some cars it that support from the box to the mount...

I' d bet on the above, my N reg valver never had one fitted and there was some movement.

When I changed gear boxes (ironicaly to a much older box) I fitted the brace and there is absoloutely no movement in the gearstick.

And the older box's cable support bracket is not even mounted on rubber bushes, just directly to the box.

Don't think of the late Corrados have that mounting bracket. 357 199 356 if its still available. Not fitted to mine.

The mounting has always puzzled me as its attached to the top of the left rear mount which is still flexible. Which leads me to think its to do with some sort of undesirable drive torque distorting the gearbox under heavy loads, like in 1st gear.

Plus changing the gearbox removes the other two problem areas above - selector shaft and reverse gear slector spring.

But if you fitted uprated support mounts at the three positions, I suppose thats the same as the bracket??

Edited by RW1

OK, found the VW bulletin on the bracket and its deletion....

Deleted from production in April 1993. Thats chassis 50PK010417 onwards. Applies to all Corrados - 8v, 16v & VR6 but not a clean chassis break, staggered a little in April'93.

It states if the Corrado has it, its to remain in place.

And... a new & thicker Gear Shift Damping Washer was introduced at the same time by another bulletin. It sits at the bottom of the gearstick below the Selector Lever Guide - part number: 535 711 055D on the shaft of the vertical shift rod. The washer is chaffered on both faces. Part number is given and ETKA shows it more away than its true position, part number: 357 711 901A.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]48936[/ATTACH]

Its made of an off-white latex rubber and sits in between the gear stick base plate and the Selector Lever Guide - part number: 535 711 055D. If its damaged or missing, the gearstick would not have as much compression in its spring (the pressure you feel for selection the reverse gate), so I guess it could be another source for a rattle if missing.

Edited by RW1

Guess I uprated too many parts to give a objective answer, the gearbox bracket is defo a hefty piece of metalwork though

I get also a gearstick vibration on my VR6 Storm when in 5th gear and I lift off the gas. The rattle is audible and visible as it rattles away. Immediately stops once you give it some gas.

I get also a gearstick vibration on my VR6 Storm when in 5th gear and I lift off the gas. The rattle is audible and visible as it rattles away. Immediately stops once you give it some gas.

5 year thread revival!!

It's an interesting one this. Ever since my first (!) engine rebuild a couple of years ago, I found that my car had started to do this in 4th gear. This has persisted through my second rebuild. Always wondered what could be causing it too, so will have to have a good read of this thread.

Any mounts other than rubber will result in increased feedback and vibration.

There are also rubber dampers on the subframe that you can look at.

Another reason can be a tired gearbox shift fork mechanism or an incorrectly fitted clutch disc.

Edited by fendervg

Amazed to see this thread is still doing the rounds over 9 years after I started it without any definitive answer and yes, mine still does it. I gave up looking in the end 😊

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk