Sign in to follow this  
KADVR6

DIY leather re-trim

if you look closely in my avatar, you can see that i have done the gear gaitor (sorry OSV) i'm looking for a mk4 leather handbrake cover so i can re-dye it. and i think i will leave it at that. dont want to make it look too much of a brothel????

To shrink the creases out of the leather (and get rid of any dimples in existing leather seat covers) try using a steamer. Keeps the leather supple while heating/shrinking it, but you still need to treat it with some leather cream afterwards.

HTH.

that looks mint, cant believe you did it yourself for under £30 bargain!!!

you have inspired me to have a go at mine!!

that looks mint, cant believe you did it yourself for under £30 bargain!!!

you have inspired me to have a go at mine!!

They look just as good in the flesh mate believe me, Karl's done a top job!

i have never got round to steaming the rears, they are better than when i first did them. but the whole interior will be coming out after xmas though?? so i will be steaming it all then.

karl

im goin to be doing myn gray over xmas,iv done a car before but just wondered if you had done like the row of stitch on either side of the seam? we didnt on my last set in a mk1 golf,i just wondered if you had done it did you use a twin needle? i cant find any twin leather needles..

i want the effect of the two rows of stitch if you see what i mean.

any advice would be great on how this is done or is it just done with a single needle machine?

unless you can get hold of the correct double needle and have a machine that is set you for dual threads then i would advise that you just flatten the material out after the inital line of sewing and then sew along parallel to the join. This means you have to go slightly slower in order to make it neater. Hope this helps. Tim