Sign in to follow this  
Yandards

Something Else To Check for 'Heater only Blows on 4'

After arseing around with thermal fuses and bending bits of copper on the control panel I finally fixed my dodgy heater motor only blowing on 4 problem.

New one on me, and I am fairly sure no-one else has mentioned it either.

Despite all the heater control knobs having the same part number one of mine is slightly different. Two of them have cut-out on the back of the dial at 180 degrees apart from each other - these are for the flap selector lever and the temp control.

The other one has an extra cut out that allows the copper tab that engages with the copper ring on the control panel to sit in, rather than pushing it away from the copper ring.

Odds on if you have had your heater control panel out at some point you may not have put the dials back in their original places.

Been mentionned many times before - and even in the Wiki I believe... ;)

Bugger :oops:

(Not in the wiki though, even the thermal fuse replacement guide isnt in the wiki)

Bugger :oops:

(Not in the wiki though, even the thermal fuse replacement guide isnt in the wiki)

Was about to say...

Is there a reason why the thermal fuse guide isn't in the wiki? seems to be a regular question and something I need to fix as well!

Which minds me, got any spare thermal fuses Yan? :oops:

Yup sure I can spare one, job is easy enough I can run you through it. Got those in-pros off now, not sure if I am going to make this Sundays meet though.

Yup sure I can spare one, job is easy enough I can run you through it. Got those in-pros off now, not sure if I am going to make this Sundays meet though.

If I nip out the box, whip it up to you and collect those in-pros would you run through it as in run through and do it!? Whats your favourite tipple? :wink:

If I nip out the box, whip it up to you and collect those in-pros would you run through it as in run through and do it!? Whats your favourite tipple? :wink:

Yeah sure no problem, er VAG parts? ;)

Nice one Yandards, I had the same problem with it only working on position 4 after taking it out about a year ago! So I removed all the knobs and I noticed mine weren't in the right places, swapped them round and it now works! Absolutely chuffed!

I just need to sort out the lighting on the heater panel now cause sometimes it works and if you tap it it comes on :lol:

I just need to sort out the lighting on the heater panel now cause sometimes it works and if you tap it it comes on :lol:

Probably a dodgy bulb holder connection. Take off the temp control dial and bend the little metal legs that come out from the centre up a bit to improve the contact.

Failing that try a new bulb, Halfords do them for £1.79 it is listed as the interior panel bulb in their which bulb for which car guide.

To be honest I am finding the whole late heater control panel a complete PITA, the lighting level is rubbish and it is really not as durable as the sliding type.

Probably just use trigs how to in the kb and fit green light stringy stuff :)

To be honest I am finding the whole late heater control panel a complete PITA, the lighting level is rubbish and it is really not as durable as the sliding type.

Or you can fit some bright wide angled LEDs, I remember seeing them somewhere cos it had me thinking that I could do with it too, but in Red ;)

Probably a dodgy bulb holder connection. Take off the temp control dial and bend the little metal legs that come out from the centre up a bit to improve the contact.

Failing that try a new bulb, Halfords do them for £1.79 it is listed as the interior panel bulb in their which bulb for which car guide.

Thanks again, ll'l give that a go when i finish work!