Sign in to follow this  
Laughingboy

Wierd complaint, my rado's quicker then I expected!!

Speedos read anything up to 10% out which could be 16mph at that speed, your wheels will be affecting it by a further percentage too. Realistically you're looking at 130 something, possibly.

When Scarlet had Jims old Valver with the KR Cam, we had a bit of a jolly back down the private section of the M3 after No-Rice, My GPS was reading 134 and she side by side with me and GradeAfailure, a Rolling Rado Roadblock.

So Im sure you can get some good speed out of a valver, but 160? lets see the vid dude.

fun discussion, but the reality is that a standard 16v corrado makes just over 130mph on about 140bhp, pretty much the same speed as any modern car with around 140bhp.

As the relationship between flywheel power and top speed is a square law, you'd need around 250bhp to make 160mph, not to mention the right gearing. This is the same reason why a VR6 with around 190bhp only tops out at about 10mph more than a 16v despite the 50hp advantage.

Even if the engine could rev that high, the VW 16v cylinder head design isn't good enough for that sort of power (normally aspirated) and K-jet certainly isn't.

So, I think we can safely say that unless any valver is turboed it's not gonna make 160mph :)

Yeah - I did 120MPH in this valver in Germany - had more but I didn't feel any braver than that!

Even if the engine could rev that high, the VW 16v cylinder head design isn't good enough for that sort of power (normally aspirated) and K-jet certainly isn't.

So, I think we can safely say that unless any valver is turboed it's not gonna make 160mph :)

Ahem, may I refer you to this site here:

CNC Heads

For those that can't be arsed to look:

'Our head shows and very healthy inlet increase of 21.5 % peak flow rate at max valve lift is seen here along with a substantially improved flow rate across the valve lift range. Exhaust improvement is slightly less dramatic but none the less a substantial 14.4% improvement at the max valve opening. This head has the potential to give an flow which will provide up to 252 BHP and 8500rpm or 219 BHP at 7000 rpm with fueling, exhaust and camshaft modifications.'

So you can get 250bhp out of a valver from the head at least!! (Only 1100 RPM increase from stock too.)

OK, OK, I stand corrected... on paper at least.

The reality is that even the G60 limited only made 210bhp (16v G60) and to modify a 16v to rev to 8,500rpm isn't going to make it a very drivable road car.

[

This head has the potential to give an flow which will provide up to 252 BHP and 8500rpm or 219 BHP at 7000 rpm with fueling, exhaust and camshaft modifications.'

However you could say that a Turbo comes under "fuelling/exhaust" mods.. :D

OK, OK, I stand corrected... on paper at least.

The reality is that even the G60 limited only made 210bhp (16v G60) and to modify a 16v to rev to 8,500rpm isn't going to make it a very drivable road car.

True for the limited, but it is rumoured that there are 240KW (320bhp)versions of those engines fitted to a few cars. That and some of the design decisions on the limited engine that VW produced are not the best for FI to say the least, starting with the inlet manifold. It was a parts bin raiding exercise with a very few custom made brackets, AFAIK no work was done to the cylinder heads. That engine set-up is capable of providing 300whp in 2 litre form at least, there are a good few people on the other side of the pond producing those big figures.

I agree the cam profile will have to be a bit wild to get those kind of figures and the torque will not be likely to come in until above 5k in the rev range; but it won't be any worse than some of the more agressively modded engines out there.

Even in standard form that head is suppossed to give you an extra 50% over standard power at 212bhp.

I use to have a GTI engineering RE 2.0 16V engined G plater which produced 170 bhp.

That was good for 145 - 150mph.

I've had 145 out of my G60 felt like it had a little bit more but a distant police car convinced me to slow down. dont think he would of been to happy with me passing him at that speed. :lol:

I've had a GPS'd 139.8mph (it's still in every PVW as 9th fastest they've tested if anyone wants proof! :p 8) ) outta J-DUB with around 220bhp... That was in the wet and she was showing around 150 on the clock... she was still pulling, but there was a large aircraft at the end of the straight that was getting rather close rather quickly so I had to brake to make the corner...

The speedo on your valver is out in that video as there's no way a valver would do 160mph... not without forced induction anyway! :lol:

Hopefully find out what H-YYU will do this year at the same venue now she's over 250bhp and will be running 100% spot on... :)

Lol, ive still got that issue of pvw, as ive got jims old rado. Think all the cars did well as wasn't the strip suppoes to be soaked.

Well, done some more investigation into this. it was done on a lengendary part of the A9 which is all downhill duel carriageway for a fair few miles! might have helped!

Plus Me and yandards were having a muck about coming back from a club meet the other night and this valver keep too with his VR6 until the speedo started to creep into the very naughty side of the dial. Even he had to admit its got some go about it!

Something has definatly been done to this thing and I'm dying to find out what. As soon as the weather improves I'm going to take a real good look under the bonnet, my guess is a possibly a 9a block with maybe a kr cam. What sort of horses would that give me? I was told around 160 - 165bhp. that right?

I have since (on private roads ;) ) seen what I can get it too and a nats knacker off 140 on the clock is my cars lot on the flat. didn't feel like it had much more to give but there was still revs to play with.

The mystery continues.... :?: