Sign in to follow this  
damovr6

golf vr6 vrs corrado vr6

Firstly hi to you all, I am looking for some advise. I currently own a mk3 golf vr6 and am looking to upgrade to a corrado vr6 within the next month or two and was wondering how the two cars compere to each other in your opinions. I obviously find the c better looking but just wanted to know the differenc in performance,handling and economy ect. Ive read a hundred reviews but i would like to hear from the people who actualy own the cars. Thanks in advance, damo :?: :?: :?:

The corrado vr6 is more powerful and will handle much better than the goof although standard the corrado is rather high (especially late one!!) so you may as well upgrade suspension anyway, but with quality stuff the corrado is one of the best FWD handling cars ever imo!

Welcome to the forum, the search is your frend,

Asking about corrados on a corrado forum is a bit like speaking to alcaholics at an AA met. A little one sided.

Asking about corrados on a corrado forum is a bit like speaking to alcaholics at an AA met. A little one sided.

Good point :lol:

Hello mate. This one's been debated several times before, most noticeably here.

http://the-corrado.net/.archive/forum/viewtopic. ... orrado+vr6

Welcome to the forum! Little tip to avoid the wrath of the mods (and to save yourself time waiting for responses), the search function is really useful. You'll find that an awful lot of very knowledgeable people (far more so than I!) have often debated the issue or problem before.

My personal two pennyworth? It's got to be the 'rado everytime! Looks and rarity alone would elevate it, even if performance was indivisible (although there was a thread recently in which some people reckoned their Mk III GTIs or VRs got noticed more than the 'rado!). However, by all accounts, the Corrado is much better equipped to put down the power without losing anything, and be much more fun in terms of handling.

However, there are more than a few peeps on here who love their Mark IIIs too, and at least a couple who own both Golf and Corrado VR6s.

Enjoy!

All the best,

Ed.

Performance - Barely any difference at all and in fact, late OBD2 Golfs have the edge on the Corrado. The Corrado is heavier than the Golf, but the Corrado has a higher rev limit and a more slippery bodyshell, so has a higher top speed than the Golf.

Build quality - Golf wins hands down. Made by robots, so more consistent. Corrado hand made, and therefore patchy quality. Karmann are MUCH better at paint than VW though, so very few Corrados rust compared with the Golf.

Styling - no contest, Corrado every time.

Handling - Golf can be made to handle the same, all you do is match the corrado's front geometry settings as it runs a lot more neg camber than the Golf....and lower it.

So basically, it all boils down to what you prefer the look of to be perfectly honest.

i have a golf VR6 (highline) and although it may not be a Vr6-i have a corrado G60. Lookswise i'd go for the Corrado evrytime, everybody who knows about corrados knows they didnt make a slow one, plus they are a lot more rare than golfs, performance wise i'd say a golf (due to the fact its got to be lighter?) but then again isnt so aerodynamic so maybe not? Ease of driving its got to be the golf everytime, you could be driving a fiesta and wouldnt feel any different. whereas the corrado is a bit heavier steering and needs a bit more effort behind it (maybe thats just because ive only driven modded corrado G60s ?

Buildwise the corrado has the odd rattle and squeak in it whereas the golf is silent not one single rattle or bang. but the corrado has done 130000 and the golf only 44k.....could be a factor

...everybody who knows about corrados knows they didnt make a slow one...

Didn't they make the 2.0 8v Corrado right at the end of its lifespan? I can't imagine that's exactly fast, though it's like the bastard child of the family that no-one ever mentions. The boss fella at Awesome GTi didn't even know they existed... :wink:

Thanks for all the replys, to be honest i have already decided on the corrado but just wanted to hear your opinions. Thanks again :lol:

(I know this has been done)

Mate's bird's Rado VR6 against my OBD1 Mk3 VR... Dead level. Tried several times standing and rolling. Rolling, the Corrado had a slight edge.

York Dragway settled it... Corrado Terminal higher, times identical.

Mate's bird's Rado VR6 against my OBD1 Mk3 VR... Dead level. Tried several times standing and rolling. Rolling, the Corrado had a slight edge.

Did you try both driving each others cars?!

Did you try both driving each others cars?!

Admittedly, not at York, but several times on private roads... identical tyres and suspension as well. AVO's and Avon ZZ..1's I think, and it genuinely was level pegging.

I'm one of those with both MKIII and Corrado VR6s.

The Golf I use for commuting, Corrado for weekends. Afew comparisons:

Performance: Can't really report, as the Golf is standard whereas my Corrado has the engine spec listed below. Obviously the Rado trashes the Golf in every gear, although in general terms the Golf has more than sufficient in-gear performance to 'make progress'. Overtakes in the Golf are rarely a problem.

Handling/Ride: The Corrado is far superior in this respect. It is much better damped than the Golf, and isn't phased by bumpy, off-camber back-roads. Steering feel is better on the Corrado IMO, and the rack feels quicker (whether it actually is or not I don't know!). Outright grip is about the same (both cars run Toyo T1Rs). The passive rear-steer is very noticable on the Corrado; it is much livelier turning-in than the Golf.

Build: I agree with previous posters that my Golf seems to be slightly better screwed together. 10 years old, no rattles or broken trim at all. The Rado does squeak a little.

Economy: With the same 'driving style' I get 28 mpg average in the Corrado, 27 in the Golf on the MFA. Nothing in it, then.

I prefer the looks, driving position, handling and overall feel of the Corrado. I only have the MkIII as well due to me inheriting one.

Don't think you'll regret upgrading to a good Corrado VR6!

Welcome to the forum, the search is your frend,

That is possibly one of the funniest things I've read for a while :D

You're right though... rado all the way.

- Ross