Sign in to follow this  
chigmuss

Very low idle speed on VR6 causing stalling

Hi Guys, I've searched the previous posts but couldn't find a topic that exactly matched the problem I'm having. The engine is (OBD1 dizzie vr6 100k) in a MK2 (1990 vintage) and I recently removed it to change various gaskets, check timing chains etc. I also replaced the distributor cap and rotor. The car always took 3 turns to spark up. After the new cap/rotor it went on the very first turn. After a week or so I realised that in my haste to get the car back on the road I hadn't re-connected the lambda sensor so I did that. Only a few days after (coincidence or not) it now idles really low at perhaps 450-500rpm and will eventually fluctuate itself into a stall if left running. At junctions the car will just come to a stall, especially if in say 3rd and coming to a roundabout and having to stop, the revs just die straight down to zero and it stalls. I've cleaned the ISV which was filthy but it's still stalling. Anyone any ideas or helpful pointers, I was thinking clean the MAF next but after that where do I go?

Had a similar prob recently- now it's cured :)

Check that the sponge from the black plastic ISV box hasn't been sucked into one of the hoses- mine had, so I just removed it completely. Totally fixed the stalling. Then did the ECU reset (in the Wiki), and the car is now running even better. Hasn't even remotely tried to stall, and idles pretty smooth for a VR.

Also worth checking that all the intake pipework is connected properly and there are no leaks.

As eatthis says, also worth cleaning the TB.

Hey guys, thanks for such a quick response. I don't know anyone local who has VAGCOM so I can't do the ECU reset as described in the Wiki (it does say on it you'd be wasting your time if you don't do the VAGCOM bit :mine being OBD1 does that make things more complex still?). I'll try giving the TB a clean and check the pipes to the ISV tomorrow. Thanks

my vr currently idles at under 200rpm. It has never stalled but still not good I think!! I wouldn't even know where to start with all said on this thread but can't afford to go to a garage at the mo. Ah well, paid on thursday...

under 200 rpm, scarlet_vr6? :?: :scratch:

honestly! just taken pic (on camera phone so a bit poor) and today is good day cos it's about 250rpm

That's around 650rpm...

The first line is 250, and it goes up in increments of 250.

Looks fine to me! :)

it's about 250rpm

That's idling at about 5000 rpm which isn't that much lower than it should. Great colour by the way Scarlet Lol!

Bill & Scarlet, what have you two been drinking?!

Take another look Cazza and count the divisions and look at the position of the needle stop. Iused to think the same :)

:oops: oh yeah - never noticed that bottom line before and I thought I was quite an observant person. maybe not... :oops:

still, when I bought it about 18mths ago, it idled just under 1000rpm and has been dropping slowly ever since. That can't be right????

Bill & Scarlet, what have you two been drinking?! :lol:

dunno but can I have some more please? :drinking: :lol:

Bill, didn't you mean 500rpm? That's what I was on about ;)

See what you mean about the needle stop. Strange as all the other increments are 250rpm :?

Scarlet, VR's usually idle at around 1000rpm when you first start the car. After a couple of minutes the idle should drop to around 650rpm. Mine's pretty much the same as yours. Also has a drinking problem like yours too! :lol:

Great colour by the way Scarlet Lol!

not sure whether you mean the scarlet I am now blushing (nickname from uni days) or the blackberry of my vr :lol:

Bill & Scarlet, what have you two been drinking?!

Take another look Cazza and count the divisions and look at the position of the needle stop. Iused to think the same :)

thanks so much I don't feel quite so stupid now. Nice to know I'm not the only who has thought that!

Well guys, followed the advise and cleaned ISV and TB but it still cuts out when I pull onto my driveway in 2nd, just goes quietly into a stall.

Got new leads and plugs to go in but shall be doing comp test as appears to be small amount of oil on plug 1, haven't had time to look at others yet.

Bill, didn't you mean 500rpm? That's what I was on about

Yeh you're right Cazza - meant 500 but no drinking honest!

not sure whether you mean the scarlet I am now blushing (nickname from uni days) or the blackberry of my vr

Blackberry of course Scarlet - top colour!

Suggest you :

a) Check that ALL the pipes are on good 'n tight all the way from the airbox to the throttle body, and the hose clips are properly tightened. Even a small leak can cause the problem you describe.

b) Failing that, and given what you've tried I suggest the air mass sensor might be either playing up, or the wiring to it might be chaffed. If you know anyone with another VR6 try swapping them over to prove that

If that doesn't isolate it, try finding someone local with VAG-COM

HTH,

John

Guys thanks for all the advice, having sourced known working ISV & MAF it turned out it was the MAF. Problem totally disappeared now. Strange thing is the fine wires inside the MAF don't appear damaged, but....in the skip it goes. Shame you can't revive the buggers considering how much VW want for them.

hi, thought id revive this one as i have a similar problew and have been searching for an answer for a while.

had my vr for over 5 years now and at the end of last year thought id goive the old girl an early xmas present - vsr schrick manifold, schrick 268 cams, magnecor leads, decat and remap all at once all by vince at stealth or is it storm? the one near rugby. Got the car back and very happy, pulled like a train and made lovely noises. power was up to around 220 bhp and 205 torque. vince did say it was idling too high - over 1000rpm, always got through m.o.t - so he put in a new second hand one he had. it now idled at 650 ish - as it should im told. only problem is it stalls at every other junction now, i cant remember it stalling once in the previous 5 years! whats going on? cant i just turn a screw and increase the idle? whats the harm in idling at 800,900rpm? the cars done 118,000 immaculately maintained miles - im the second owner from new.

please help im falling out of love with her at the moment and show season is fast approaching!

The idle speed on the VR is controlled by the ECU - you can't adjust it. You probably still have a dodgy MAF. Get another one to try ..