Sign in to follow this  
djmac56

What value does Air con put on a Corrado?

Hi everyone.

I have absolutely no plans to sell my car as I think it is superb, but I wondered what people's opinion is of air con.

Mine has it, which I think is pretty rare,and it's absolutely superb in the summer. But I have no idea if it adds any value to that of a standard VR6 with cloth interior.

I know people on here talk about the value of recaros and leather, but nothing on air con.

I was once quote between 1200 and 1800 to retro fit air con to another car, but I doubt it adds anything like that to my Corrado.

Any thoughts?

It certainly increased the desirability of your car.

When i was looking for my storm i specifically wanted aircon and therefore was prepared to pay extra for it.

Its something that not everyone is bothered about having, the ones that want it though would probably expect to pay for it..

just makes it more desirable to some............tho I'd not pay any extra for it,unless it had recently been overhauled as its just something else to go wrong

it was a dealer-fit option of between £1000-£1500 tho

I'd value AC extremely highly as it makes the car so much more usable in the summer. I'm not a fan of having windows open at speed so I'd pay more for it. SOme prefer having windows open and listening to the engine more though

anyone have a view on what it realistically costs to retrofit these days?

That all depends on how much you're prepared to do yourself, I paid £150 for a complete climatronic kit taken out of a Passat VR6, I had to buy a couple of extra sensors (one original was damaged whilst being removed, another was missing) for another £50 or so and then £50 for the re-gas. I should have fitted a new receiver/dryer but risked the old one and it seems OK, that was £40ish.

But then there's the time taken, I reckon if I'd started and just done the CC install without the engine rebuild I was on with at the time etc, 3 good days would have seen it done. But if you have to pay someone for that, the labour cost would increase your price close to the original £1500.

the labour cost would increase your price close to the original £1500

hmmm, still painful then... cheers tho!