Sign in to follow this  
MoonlightBlueVR6

Timing Chains too?

Mate thats expensive isn't it???? I've got a chap in Stoke that will do the chains and replace all the bits n bobs including a sach racing clutch for £500. Also do the head for another £200 iirc....

Hmmmm.... So he's doing the chains for less £100 then, because Sachs Racing clutches are about £450 for a basic spec.

So how can he make any profit doing heads for £200 and chains for £100?

Labour is basically free.

I'm calling BS on those prices, sorry.

He actually charges £200-250 labour to do the chains and clutch. He gets his bits from Eurocarparts and uses the standard Sachs vr6 clutch so the cost is roughly £500 including parts. You can supply your own bits if you insist on genuine parts which increases the cost to about £750.

Thats about right, £1400 for the Head Rebuild, Clutch and Chains all at once, Vince quoted me that as well.

As to the VW garage in Stoke, a freind of mine knows someone with one up that area, not saying its the same one, but the referance was not too wonderful.......and I'm not trying to start a bun fight, before it kicks off in here, just sharing the knowledge.

Is the head work just a gasket change or a full rebuild?

The head work at Stealth includes everything else "necessary" - eg if the head needs machining to make it true that is included. Vince gave me a whole list but I can't remember TBH. Sounded pretty comprehesive to me though. Give them a bell if you want to know for sure.

Paul

He actually charges £200-250 labour to do the chains and clutch. He gets his bits from Eurocarparts and uses the standard Sachs vr6 clutch so the cost is roughly £500 including parts. You can supply your own bits if you insist on genuine parts which increases the cost to about £750.

As suspected. Cheers for clearing that up.

His labour rates are fairly average for an independant.... 5 hour job @ £50 hour, so £5 p/h more than Stealth actually.

Mate thats expensive isn't it???? I've got a chap in Stoke that will do the chains and replace all the bits n bobs including a sach racing clutch for £500. Also do the head for another £200 iirc....

Hmmmm.... So he's doing the chains for less £100 then, because Sachs Racing clutches are about £450 for a basic spec.

So how can he make any profit doing heads for £200 and chains for £100?

Labour is basically free.

I'm calling BS on those prices, sorry.

Oh ok... But still, To do the Chains and cluth which he's supplying the parts £500... I'd say thats a bargain....

On the face of it yeah, but that's £250 skimped on parts quality.

It's a once only job for most of us and there's no way I'd pay as little as £500 for that job as I know where the corners will have been cut. I'd rather do it myself with genuine parts!

When I was advised (by c*nting VW) that my Head Gasket had gone

What turned out to be the problem then?

HT Leads and rocker arm :roll:

I'll spare you the story, as folks here have heard me rant about it on more than one occasion, lets just say, 100% of my visits to VW have ending in disaster, and I don't go there any more...