Sign in to follow this  
mrbeige

Bloody typical....

Put the car back together as I've run out of money for the MS conversion at the mo and the bloody bonnet release cable has snapped and my battery is buggered!!

Any idea how much a bonnet release cable will cost and what the part number is too?

Also, my ignition switch seems to be playing up, so to start the car I need to wiggle the key in the barrell. Is it the barrell that is at fault or just the starter switch??

if i remember it is £15 or 17 from vag i had one a couple of weeks ago but can,t find paper work for part number

i think its just the barrel spring behind the lock. they burn out. but you have to smash the barrel lock off to get to it, can be replaced by a bolt thou. go to a car electrical place and ask them about it. when mine went nobody knew what it was, replaced all the ignition bits before going for the barrel mech it was a pain in the arse.

the barrel mech are cheap thou.

Dont smash anything,its quite easy to change.

All you require is some screw drivers and a very small one you can if possible bend at the end to reach the captive screw.

Just dont over tighten this little one as someone might have to replace it again.

I changed mine with little effort in about 20 minutes.

It didnt need replacing but after reading them being a common I changed it.

There is a guide on here and if you stick to it,its easy peasy.

when my rado was in the garage havin a bit of work done,mine snapped on the mechanic so got it replace free of charge :D

Yeah mine snapped on the mechanic too, unfortunately the mechanic (well kind of) was me! :(

The cable is 536 823 531 and costs £29.26 inc. VAT.

Cheers dude. Trip down the stealers later then!!

20 quid for the starter switch, nothing to do with the barrell on mine and its been OK since xmas.

Henny's how to guide in the wiki is gospel - especially the pillow suggestion!

Top tip to ensure your ignition switch lives a long life.

Only stick the ignition key in the switch! Don't have a ton of crap hanging off the keyring as it will cause lots of vibration and shorten the life of the switch.