Sign in to follow this  
GusPW

What oil can I use to top up if I dont know whats in there?

I bought my VR just before Xmas but I dont know what oil was used at its last oil change (its not in any of the records and the last owner did not change it as he only owned it for 3 months).

So.... What type of oil should I use to top it up?. Is there any combination of oil that would cause problems? ie mixing fully sinthetic with mineral.

Yeah the first thing I'd do with a new car, regardless of whether it had just been done or not, would be to change the Oil.....an easy job and certainly a worthwhile thing to learn to do when keeping these older cars..

Use synta silver...about £15 for VW IIRC

Of course if you need to top up to get home, any oil is better than none at all. Quantum Synta Silver from VW is the stuff to use, semi synthetic 10W-40 if you're looking for a grade.

Oil looks pretty clean and I know it was changed in September last year so was putting off crawling underneath it untill the weather was slightly less damp :oops: .

Cheers for the advise, I'll top it up with synta silver untill I get some free time during daylight!