_leon_

best gear ratios for g60 gearbox

For anyone else wondering about this box swap here is the power graphs for my car at a recent rolling road day at awesome. As you can see it is doing well below 3k. Wanted to post this up just to give a bit more infomation for anyone wondering if this box will make there car slow which it might if your torque is a bit more peaky, which some turbo motors can be.

just looking at your graph against your mods, seems very low powered. 65mm pulley. and only 200hp. i would look at the fueling graph. :? also that drop may be the isv dumping excessive boost. either throu overboosting. -due to 65mm pulley or the knock sensor. all g60 graphs i have seen have a small drop in that area but a dip, not a drop.

.. just a thought.

i have a ctn box in the garage, unknown milage. just waiting to find time to fit it.

just looking at your graph against your mods, seems very low powered. 65mm pulley. and only 200hp. i would look at the fueling graph. :? also that drop may be the isv dumping excessive boost. either throu overboosting. -due to 65mm pulley or the knock sensor. all g60 graphs i have seen have a small drop in that area but a dip, not a drop.

.. just a thought.

i have a ctn box in the garage, unknown milage. just waiting to find time to fit it.

Indeed the standard map will open the ISV at 5600 RPM to dump the boost down to a max of 0.1-0.15 bar, looks like this is still happening despite the chip work you have done.

Thought is was due to the ISV dumping the boost but thought the SNS chip would of increased the rpm at which it was dumped. I thought it had done well torque curve wise. I don't think it is due to knock. This is on a standard charger and internals other than the Gwerks manifold and through exhaust. I wasn't to concerned about max hp more about good torque through as much of the rev range as possible but yes if this drop was sorted out it would give a bit more torque over 5600rpm. I'll hopefully be taking it to Chip Wizards with some redtops late this year after I get the 2ltr bottom end sorted out. Anyway thanks for the comments V. helpful.

the torque is good. and some redtops and a piper 270h willl make it all much better. look into these before going down the expensive route of a 2 l.

i have had a simular speck befor and it made excellent grunt figures. 225hp 230 ftlbs which would make more use of that box. second hand 270 is under a ton.

Have you got a graph for your current spec. Will be interesting to see how the CTN box will cope with your spec engine.

I'm looking now for a CTN box and stumbled across a CHA cable change 'box apparently out of a MK3 tdi for cheap money. Anyone shed any light on this gearbox, anyway related to a CTN?

Cheers AJ

Check the code again they can be difficult to read. I don't recognise it and can't find any reference to it in the ETKA software.

EDIT: just found it it's off a Passat I'll have a look at the ratio's

Ohh dear, Was all good with the ratios for this box until I got to the FD. It's got a final drive of 3.9444. I doubt this is off a diesel as this FD makes this box shorter than a CBA box which has an FD of 3.647. A diesel box should have an FD of 3.1579. All the other ratios were the same as a CTN/CBA. Sorry mate. Unless ETKA is wrong on the FD ratio of 70/18 then this looks like it was off a 16v passat which would explain the short ratios heavier car and a peaky high rev engine.

Numbers

Gearbox:- Passat TDi CHA

Tyre:- Michelin all patterns 205/50 x 16

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top Gear gives 24.702 MPH/1000 RPM and a top speed of 153.155 MPH at 6200 RPM

Engine speeds in top gear:-

30 MPH = 1214 RPM 40 MPH = 1619 RPM 50 MPH = 2024 RPM 60 MPH = 2429 RPM

70 MPH = 2834 RPM 80 MPH = 3239 RPM 90 MPH = 3643 RPM 100 MPH = 4048 RPM

Top Speed in 1 gear = 29.084 MPH

And changes into 2 gear at 3475 RPM dropping 2725 RPM

Top Speed in 2 gear = 51.886 MPH

And changes into 3 gear at 3982 RPM dropping 2218 RPM

Top Speed in 3 gear = 80.789 MPH

And changes into 4 gear at 4179 RPM dropping 2021 RPM

Top Speed in 4 gear = 119.857 MPH

And changes into 5 gear at 4852 RPM dropping 1348 RPM

Top Speed in 5 gear = 153.155 MPH

******************************************************************************************

If you or any one else wants check out a box then you can put the box in gear and turn the input shaft once and count the number of turns of the drive flanges or vice-versa. The CTN box or similar should give the following results.

1st = 1 turn of input shaft = 12 turns of drive shafts (or vice-versa)

2nd = 6.5 turns

3rd = 4.25 turns

4th = 3 turns

5th = 2.3 turns

Going to hold out for a CTN then mate, sounds like it's the best one for the job, thanks for your help though

Is it possible to swap the final drive from a CTN box into my CBA? Or do I need the whole CTN box?

Just been playing with the gearbox thing in the Wiki as I have a serious problem ahead with my mk1 g60 conversion. The problem on the mk1 is the size of my rims. 8x14 on the front running 195/45/14 tires which gives me a change up speed of 50mph in 2nd at 6200rpm!! :shock:

The ratios work out pretty good I think. Whats everyone elses opinion?

It should be possible to swap a CTN diff in but the drive flanges are different in that they are spring loaded which I think helps with torque biasing. Also worth noting that the quaife diff for a standard CBA/O2A cannot be used in a diesel/CTN box!

It should be possible to swap a CTN diff in but the drive flanges are different in that they are spring loaded which I think helps with torque biasing. Also worth noting that the quaife diff for a standard CBA/O2A cannot be used in a diesel/CTN box!

So if you were to want an LSD for a CTN box what would you need assuming one is available?

Bugger... :(

back to the drawing board then as I'm going to need a LSD if my full plans come to fruition!! :lol:

On my reciept for my re-con CTN it says:

5speed VAG golf/bora/audi A3

2.0i/1.9tdi gearbox

it says CTN code on the box as well as 02A, just checking this is the right box before i fit it tomorro, just concerned about the bora/a3 bit?

Cheers AJ

So if you were to want an LSD for a CTN box what would you need assuming one is available?

Just reading through this post and noticed this question. I think the solution would be to use the CBA push fit flanges and do away with the CTN ones. The gearbox casing halves are the same as CBA ones so I guess that should work.

Update for anyone thats interested: Done about 3000 miles with this box now gear change is good had no problems what so ever (touch wood). Still happy with the ratios. Had a set of new tyres not long after fitting the box which are now well worn in and can honestly say traction from stand-still and out of corners is better than ever. Enjoying 2nd gear on big wide roaded traffic islands. The thing that impresses me the most though about this later O2A box is the complete lack of torque steer. It's controlled the torque of the engine very well. Anyone else got any feedback or bad points/experiences I know a few of you had bought boxes to fit. :)

i still haven't fitted mine. put a new clucth cylinder on and fresh oil. just havn't got the time. amd my new engine isn't as strong on the bottom end at the mo. and i'm thinking of selling up :( had the c for 6 years. spend nearly 20k over that time. wanted a r33 but looking at a s4 this weekend.

might put the box in the car when seling it comes reality.

Just to resurrect this thread, the CTN gearbox looks like what i'm after for my G60, just unclear on one bit, mike mentions swapping shifter towers from the G60 box over to the CTN box, is this just a straight swap, easy to do?

Any help is much appreciated :D

Andy

Just to resurrect this thread, the CTN gearbox looks like what i'm after for my G60, just unclear on one bit, mike mentions swapping shifter towers from the G60 box over to the CTN box, is this just a straight swap, easy to do?

Andy

Mine was bonded to the box so I didn't attempt to break this bond for fear of damage or moisture ingress, mike's came out easy but he still had to adjust the cable to get the correct shifting. I'd just get a box with the brackets attached. It's your choice. If you don't use the diesel bracket you have to use a plug or bolt to fill the extra hole left by using the earlier bracket. I imagine it is pretty easy to swap the towers if you decide to go that route but as I said you'll still be adjusting the cables at the end of the day unless you get real lucky.

Andy

Mine was bonded to the box so I didn't attempt to break this bond for fear of damage or moisture ingress, mike's came out easy but he still had to adjust the cable to get the correct shifting. I'd just get a box with the brackets attached. It's your choice. If you don't use the diesel bracket you have to use a plug or bolt to fill the extra hole left by using the earlier bracket. I imagine it is pretty easy to swap the towers if you decide to go that route but as I said you'll still be adjusting the cables at the end of the day unless you get real lucky.

Cheers CTWG60, probably just use the diesel bracket then, is it just a case of fitting my cables straight to the new box? Sorry for the stupid questions.

Just found one £265 inc VAT and delivery, looks to be getting bought :D guy is just checking whether or not its got the brackets on it.

Andy

Yes it's the current cables are used on both golf mk3 ,passats of roughly the same year and so the box is a straight swap over. It should come with a shift weight which helps changes and I think it has a redesigned shift tower to help gearchanges. good luck with it. I'd want it delivered for that price though or very low mileage. If it's missing anything knock him down £50 and pick up the missing bits for less than £20 from the stealers. :)

edit oh sorry it is all in isn't it. :oops: