Sign in to follow this  
ziderapple

Prob with a Valver..

Ok, one for the valver guru's, I'm buying a car with a 16v k-jet lump in it, which runs, but is "boggy as hell", this starterd when the previous owner was racing a BMW at silly speeds 120+, he said all of a sudden the power just went, so I'm thinking it may have jumped a tooth, of possibly sucked some muck into the meetering head. What would your suggestions be?

Thanks.

Yeah, look for the small before worrying about the big. Get those hoses checked like Rustynuts said, check the sparkplugs and other ignition parts, make sure both fuel pumps are going and change the fuel filter......basically just make sure you give it a good service.

To be honest I'm picking it up tommorrow morning, only had it running on the chaps drive the other day, as it is SORN, and MOT less with siezed rear brakes, one thing is the clamping bracket from the manifold to exhaust is hanging off, could a lack of back pressure make it boggy? I've not driven it yet so can say how it feels, but it was enough for him to take the car off the road and let it sit, but it did get him the 20+ miles home with no probs thou. (I know it may sound daft buying a car I havnt driven, but I know its straight and I got it for silly money)

I had a similar problem with my KR, but this was intermitant bogging on full throttle, this turned out to be the fuel filter that I had neglected to change... :oops:

Well picked I it up today, while it was on the blokes drive, I jacked it up, bolted up the split exhaust clamp and voila!! My brother and I had to tow it across Bristol but I had the engine running for the Servo assistance with the brakes, when I got it home I had a qucik go up a quiet road - it flies!! Gearbox is hardwork though, very notchy, would imagine that its a linkage issue though, it pulls and sounds good.

Its a Mk1 Golf by the way, it does need a good service though, so will do the works including Cam belt, arm, cap and leads then she'll be a winner!!

Thanks for the replies.