Sign in to follow this  
phatjack

siezed alternator and oil problem

i have recently bought a corrado g60. it has oil temps of between 108 and 126. is this normal? today my alternator siezed and the belt snapped. apart frm the obvious, (no boost, or battery charging) the oil warning light came on and i lost a lot of coolant due to overheating. what sort of problems could i be looking at with regards to the engine?

sorry if the Q's sound stupid but i have very little experience of this sort of thing.

yours aye,

phatjack :oops:

Well many answers could be possible. If it's overheating check that your thermostat is opening correctly, if it isn't you'll have half your coolant pipes cold and half hot. If this is the case your oil temps will also be high (as they seem to be) as you wont be getting the heat transfer.

To be honest if you haven't got any record of either the thermostat being changed or the water pump I'd swap them both anyway. Even if neither have a problem (although i strongly suspect one of them does) they're cheap to buy and will sort any problem that you may get in the not so distant future with them...

I think you may be looking at some engine damage from that overheat if it was bad enough to cause the oil pressure warning light to come on, did the beeper come on?

the alternator didn't make any noise whatsoever. had the car since the 2nd of feb and it has been charging just fine. will try and change the thermostat, but could anyone tell me where its at? i tried to get my hands on a haynes manual but could not find one.

there was a definite beeping sound when the oil warning light came on. how long would i have before lack of oil/coolant would damage the head gasket :(

the stat is where the lower hose goes on the water pump....you can get a haynes for a mk2 gti, its got alot in common with a 8v gti, or bently do a proper one

cheers for all the info ppl and for that thread pickard1. will crack on with the thermostat (and possibly the water pump) when i get my corrado back, hopefully with not too much damage to the main block (along with my wallet).

till the moro

yours aye,

phatjack :)

just got my corrado back. hoorah. the garage did a co2 check on my cooling system and he said that came back clear so the chances of my gasket been busted is slim to none.

been running fine so far. hope it lasts (until pompey at least) :D