Sign in to follow this  
ardandy

Dad Car Time

My ma and pa are just about to retire, they've sold the house (to me :) ) and are moving darn south.

Now they've got a little money to splurge with my dad asked me what car might be good to replace their 06 Reg Polo.

The remit is;

1, Comfortable

2, Lot's of toys

3, Maybe a bit of prestige, but not crucial

4, Little bit of poke! (not quite C VR6 levels)

5, Not really expensive to run, but not bothered if the petrol bills a little higher

6, Max of £9,000

Now after quite a bit of thought, the car I've picked for them as a possiblilty is the Jaguar X-Type. Loads of toys, choice of V6 and can get a 3-4 yr old one for £8k-£9k!! Depreciation in the first few years is huge so a great 2nd hand buy.

Plus you get full leather (Beige in this case) interiors! Mmmm.

Any alternatives?

Andy depends where they're moving to?

Jags tend to be quite good break-in targets as they're percieved to be rich old men's cars..

Have you looked at Lexus (i?). The old man went to look at a few 200's but ended up buying an ex-demo Mundeno (yeah I'm son of Ford man! Explains my VW fetish...)

If they must have a Jag how about suggesting an XK?

Size is also an issue, I'm pushing it at an X-Type TBH! My mum has trouble parking the Polo as it is!

St Osif???? SP? they're moving to, near Clacton-On-Sea.

Some of the Volvos are absolutely stacked full of toys.

Got a bit of prestige about them too, I suppose.

Can get an S80 or even a C70 convertable for pimpin on the prom with that budget. :lol:

My dad bought a Skoda Superb a couple of years ago, full leather, lots of toys and a real nice car if you can get past the badge issue. It's only the 1.9 TDi but I got it chipped for him and it's pretty impressive, 80/90 uphill with his big caravan on the back is no problem :shock:

My dad bought a Skoda Superb a couple of years ago, full leather, lots of toys and a real nice car if you can get past the badge issue. It's only the 1.9 TDi but I got it chipped for him and it's pretty impressive, 80/90 uphill with his big caravan on the back is no problem :shock:

:lol: :lol: Why would he be driving at 80/90 towing a caravan

unless it was a Topgear challenge :lol:

Laurent and Klement Octavia- lovely interior, loads of toys and it's VAG.

Or:

Lexus IS200

Skoda Superb

Scoob Legacy

Honda Accord

Laurent and Klement Octavia- lovely interior, loads of toys and it's VAG.

dad had one of these, lovely car. really good build quality with a 20vt too. heated seats air con etc. gave that to my mum as he couldnt bring himself to sell it and bought a jaguar XJ SE. which is REALLY nice, massive inside and not a single squeak/rattle and no road noise either. plus its a V8....