Sign in to follow this  
dan

Satin Silver C - Colour Coded Roof Strips

im liking that plate! how much is the carbon stuff? im looking to do the number plate plinth on mine when i get it back

Looks like it's just me and you for the meet so far lol

yeh noticed you'd bumped it, as an alternative could tag along on a gtini meet, never been myself but they get a good vag turn out, only problem is i'm busy last sunday of this month.

have to think of an application for these vinyl off cuts you work with!

im liking that plate! how much is the carbon stuff? im looking to do the number plate plinth on mine when i get it back

Yours off to the sprayers now then? Looking forward to seeing the finished product 8) The 3M stuff costs us £30 per m2 :eek: I know. PM me your address & I'll send you enough to do your rear plate plinth. I'll send you a piece approx 250 x 750mm, that should cover it. I think it would look really well on a dark coloured car like yours.

an alternative could tag along on a gtini meet, never been myself but they get a good vag turn out, only problem is i'm busy last sunday of this month.

have to think of an application for these vinyl off cuts you work with!

Is the GTINI on the last Sunday of the month then? Where is it being held? I'll bring some of the CF with me when we meet up & you can have it FOC :D

yeh they always have a thread running about the next meet, its usually around templepatrick, sometimes they do a trundle around the antrim coast as well.

nice one on the carbon film stuff :salute:

I'd intended on replacing the front top mounts last night but ran into a few difficulties. Finished up just after 1a.m. with only the drivers side done. I'm gonna do the other side tonight & take plenty of pics for a 'How To'. Heres the drivers side assembled before fitting it back onto the car...

Hello

I'd be interested in some 3M stuff for my boot plinth if you got any left of course

Colour coded the roof strips last week. I removed them by gently prying from the back. I also removed the back door hinge covers by carefully prying them off to using a small flat screwdriver. Cleaned, sanded & preped everything for paint. I bought some Satin Silver (LB7Z) from local motorparts shop, mixed & put into an aerosol can for me :D Also bought some plastic primer & clear laquer.

After I preped the strips I applied the plastic primer using a good brush, sanded & reapplied this a few times (just to be sure). Left them all to dry overnight. Then I sprayed the strips, put on 4 coats using the aerosol and again left overnight to harden. Next day I applied another 3 coats of laquer & left to dry again overnight.

The best thing about doing this apart from the cleaner look is that I don't have to worry about going over them every time I clean the car with the rubber & vinyl conditioner :D

I really like the colour coded roof strips. I have often wondered about this myself but have always been worried that too much colour coding can look naff, but I really like that. Could you take a picture from the front of the roof so I could see from a different angle? If it's no bother!

Did you have any problems with them being flexible? Flakey paint etc?

Yeah - nice work on that. People fill the roof gutters in but have never seen them colour coded before. Looks good!

Never thought about painting the Roof strips. Really subtle and looks great!

Cheers Hatcha, easy enough to do cos you can easily take the strips out of the car.

I really like the colour coded roof strips. I have often wondered about this myself but have always been worried that too much colour coding can look naff, but I really like that. Could you take a picture from the front of the roof so I could see from a different angle? If it's no bother!

Did you have any problems with them being flexible? Flakey paint etc?

I noticed a lot of the newer VW's have them done so just keeping up with the Kardashians (as they say now a days :) )

No problems with the flex, the colour coded part is fairly rigid. I think its made from the same type of plastic as the door handles.

I'll take a few more pics from different angles later

Yeah - nice work on that. People fill the roof gutters in but have never seen them colour coded before. Looks good!

Thanks Jim, I'd thought about filling them before but I've heard that the fillers will crack over time so happy enough with this for now

they look great in the pics

Cheers Ben, they prob look better in real life. Only thing is when I originally trimmed the strips a few years back I took a few little nicks out of the harder plastic, which shows up now they are silver :|

great work Dan, they look really good coded like that :salute:

Thanks Aide, I'm always tinkering with something on the car :lol:

I got a satin valver to ;)

Sorry mate, thought you were joking :) The can is finished now anyway. I got it a while back to do the door handles, then I touched up around the inner lips of the wheel arches where paint was flaking off due to stone chips. I had to lay the roof strips side by side when I did them so as not to waste any.

Fitted new Door Strikers... £10 off ebay :norty:

5 min job, just unscrewed the old ones & screwed in the new chrome ones. I think they're for a Mk2 Golf, same fitment. Not to keen on the yellow plastic bit but the difference now when closing the doors is MUCH better :D

the bay comes good again eh, updates are coming thick and fast, you on holiday or something :lol:

the bay comes good again eh, updates are coming thick and fast, you on holiday or something :lol:

:lol: No just getting the car back on the road this year had given me a new lease of life with it. I've also been busy soundproofing it & got a new set of In.Pro Fogs & Indicators. My drivers side fog light was cracked so I just replaced the lot. Starting to think it's time to cool off now though as the bills are mounting up. I'm taking it off the road again soon so I need to sort a few mechanical things like a Samco hose kit & sump guard gasket. Then over the winter I'll have to get new brake lines all round & get the timing chains done. Car has just turned 99k this week :(passat climatronic wiring diags.pdf25072010938.jpg[/attachment:13w1oxop]climatronic wiring-Golf from May 01.pdf22092010048.jpg[/attachment:13w1oxop]2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdf7.jpg[/attachment:13w1oxop]8.jpg[/attachment:13w1oxop]

did you notice any reduction in noise with the soundproofing?

To be honest, no. It prob has but you'd need some kind of db measurement tool to know for sure. Although the only reason I did it was to try and take the hollow sound away everytime you close the doors, and it does do that a little better. The new door strikers made a bigger difference when closing the doors and they only cost a tenner

looking sharp!, where did u get the sound proofing from? i need to do my doors too

Just got some 'SoundX' from ebay. It comes in 100mm wide rolls & it takes approx. 1/12 rolls to do each door. With it being 100mm wide, it's fairly easy to install. It can be cut using either a good pair of scissors or a Stanley knife. It would remind you on Gaffer Tape with Tar as the adhesive.

Also replaced the little tailgate spots, freshins up the look of the back when the boot is up £2 :)