Sign in to follow this  
DUBST4R

Lowered my VR6 by 40mm..but not happy with ride..HELP??

Hi, anyone who can gimme some sound advice?..

I have been reading comments etc. and the gist of what i have read is that if you lower your car by 40mm that shouldn't have a great affect on your ride quality..

I know from my experience; had Mk1 & Mk2 golfs if i dropped them by 60mm then you would more or less feel every bump on the road.

Now i have recently dropped my Rado VR by 40mm (used Ventura TUV approved) springs (state a 40mm drop), but it really feels as though i dropped it excessively; is not comfortable at all to drive!!..i tried to bounce the suspension by hand at the front, but it doesn't budge...

The drop looks perfect (not excessive) with the wheels but literally feel every bump on the road and this shouldn't happen with just a 40mm drop??

has anyone else experienced this?? Help would be appreciated!!

The general opinion with the Corrado is that you should change shocks & springs at the same time with a matched combination. By the sounds of it you've only changed the springs (correct me if I'm wrong)which more than likely is your problem. I believe the quality of components used also has a huge affect on the car.

What he said ^^^ if you have just put lower springs on then its bound to have a sh*t ride as the shocks aren't made for that height and so the rebounds etc will all be cocked up. You should change both shocks and springs together and as with most things you get what you pay for. Also did you cut your bump stops down??? If you lower the car by 40mm you should cut about the same off the bump stops otherwise the car will just be riding on them and you will feel every bump which sounds like the case.

Ventura springs are known to give a harsh, bumpy and bouncy ride they are just nasty. They are fitted to my C by the previous owner and will be getting changed out for another setup this weekend!!!

DUBST4R, just a few points. I had mine 40mm low and also felt every bump, but that was partly due to running 17" rims. Confused? - dont be, what I mean to say is that the tyre also takes up some of the bumps in the road too and the 17" wheel requires a thinner (lower profile) tyre which will be stiffer and have less give.

Moving onto the actual suspension, there are two parts that people mention. Basically the spring will compress and oppose the upward motion of the wheel (and your motion downwards). If you lower a car, you should really only compress to the same point. That is to say that if a standard spring were to move 100mm, then your springs should only move 60mm. To do this the spring should be firmer and therefore feel stiffer and move less and therefore feel harsher, but also MORE stable. Good or bad - you decide.

Depending what spring you bought, will depend how stiff they are.

As for the shock, this opposes the spring (car moving back upwards), ie when the wheel moves out and away from the arch. If you had no shock or a very weak one (like those silly yanks), you'd find the spring forces your car back up too quickly. A stronger (lower) spring will force you up quicker and therefore people often change the shocks too so as to compensate for this. Once the car has sprung back up in a nice slow motion, it should stay there and not bounce down an inch or two - so for example when you bounce on your bonnet you would expect the car to come up once and not up-down-up (ossolate). The shock should not resist the initial bump.

HTH in addition with herisites comment.

You get what you pay for with suspension. Just changing the springs will never give a good ride. The factory springs arent designed to be compressed that much.

Have to agree with Steve@. I've got PIs and Koni TAs on both mine; the ride is great, especially good on the VR.

Thanks guys for your advice..

will be looking at changing the set up...So the PI springs are good combi with Koni shocks?..

Yes the PI and Koni combination has been highly rated by a few members on here for ride comfort and a lot of guys go for H&R and Koni but i believe the PI springs drop a bit more than the H&R's.

How far do the PIs put the car down...

I had a look at someones 40mm drop the other day and i quite fancy going a little further than that without decking the thing...

How far do the PIs put the car down...

I had a look at someones 40mm drop the other day and i quite fancy going a little further than that without decking the thing...

Me & you both Goldie. Still holding off buying the new sus as I dont wanna buy 40mm & it still be too high! Can't afford coilies just now, so Koni Sport Kit is looking like my plan at the mo.

I dont wanna buy 40mm & it still be too high

Thats exactly how i feel..

Im in the same boat with the coilies, cant really afford so always on the look out for second hand ones. The obvious advantage with them though is being able to decide when you are happy with the height..

40mm (used Ventura TUV approved) springs

just to back up what others have said, I had the 'lovering kit' that euro car parts sell which is bilstein dampers and ventura shocks and it was bloody horrible for rebound and being crashy.

I dont wanna buy 40mm & it still be too high!

IMO -60mm is the best looking ride height, wheels fit the arches just right and there's not too much scraping of the front spoiler.

well nothing now, I dont have one anymore :'(

on my valver I had 16" borbets with the ventura setup which was bouncy, not low enough and generally a bit poo

on the VR I had 17x8 RH's and Koni -60mm springs/shocks and the ride was a little bumpy but only what you'd expect from a lowered car, handled great!

http://www.chris-hill.co.uk/photos/Corrado%20VR6%20-%20%20RIP%20/DSCF2067.jpg shows the ride height of the VR quite well at -60mm (massive image!)

well nothing now, I dont have one anymore

Thats a shame, i was going to ask if i could come a have a look....

I have just been looking around and noticed you can get a Jamex Coilover kit for around £260 inc. P&P..or another german manufactured brand with the TUV approval for approx. £230..

But as we know Coilover kits normally start at £400plus..does this mean the Jamex kit is not that good?..