ziderapple

Fun on the dunes :-D

Hi Everyone, been a member on here for a while now so I thought it was time to start my own thread.

I bought my Corrado in June last year, had a couple of probs with it since - cracked thermostat housing, spit hose and worn engine mount but generally its been good to me.

All I can say is you lot are a bad influence!! I was very happy with my standard car, then I started reading about Shreks, 'chargers and turbos, well six months after buying the car I bought a Vortech stage 2 kit!! The kit has been sitting around for a couple of months but today I have started work. I'm doing the chains, clutch and fitting the charger this week and all being well I'm off to Stealth on the 20th for my re-map.

Car late this morning (un-washed I'm afriad):

P1010001.jpg

And a few hours later:

P1010023.jpg

Thanks for looking. :D

Edited by ziderapple

Nice one- exactly what I want to do with mine! Keep the pics coming 8)

Is yours pearl green?

Cazza its dragon green, (so not pearl??) I'll keep the pic's coming, taking loads, if only to help with re-assembly! Got a lot to do this week, I'm hoping a Mocal cooler will be turning up from stealth, plus I'm really tempted to pull the head off now!!

Oh, and on a side note I was amazed at how light the inlet mani is, I know its made of ally but still! Be no good as a paper weight!

At the finish of play today.

P1010039.jpg

In the Wiki guide it describes the use of a flywheel locking tool, which would be nice, but heres how I did it - may be useful to someone who's not a mechanic (such as myself) and is thinking of undertaking this job - dead easy (compared to making a tool up imo).

P1010026.jpg

I only got to work on it for a few hours today as I had to go to college this morning. Taking off the gearbox is a right bast*rd - the worst part is the bracket at the back - the rear bolt which holds it on fouls the mount and took some serious wiggling to get it out!

New chains will be fitted and box back on tommorrow.

Good work ziderapple!

Gearbox is real fun on the drive with no ramp isn't it :( . The last time I did a gbox on the drive I said 'not again'. A few years later and I was doing it again, will I ever learn. Still it's a good feeling when it all goes back together. If you can get some help to put it back in, that's even worse. You can drop the front cross member to make access much better, only a couple of bolts, helped loads on mine.

Fylwheel locking tool... yeh I did something similar with a long bar. Does the job OK. Just don't slip! Ouch.

Good luck with the chains 8)

Cheers Dave. I'll get my brother to help me lift it back on - hopefully by tonight, but I dont think I'll do one on my back again. I've always had Golfs before and they are much easier to work on - there is so much stuff on the VR, far too many wires for my liking! I think theres only about 18 wires on a Mk2 digi.

Ah well. Back to it.

herisites I've only turned it over with a socket on the crank bolt! Still got to bolt everything else back up, and fit the clutch and 'charger! I managed to borrow a cam locking tool and bently manual from my local vee dub garage - (thanks to Dave at P.C Motors) which made things much easier. Gonna call it a day now - got things to do this evening, so 'box will have to wait till tomorrow.

Well I have had to do a bit off runing around the last couple of days, but the gearbox is back on, new inner CV done, slave cylinder etc. pretty much everything back on bar coil pack, rad and front end, was slowed down today by the belt for the charger being too small! Bracket and idler for charger on, and sump done, just want to bolt up the charger and pipework, So should be up and running tomorow!

Couple of pic's:

P1010050.jpg

P1010063.jpg

Nice skills mate. Would never be brave enough to do work like that on my car!

To be honest there have been a couple of moment's when I have thought oh s**t, it's never going to go back together again!! :lol: Not being a mechanic has made it quite time consuming, but I'm enjoying it and will be giving myself a modest pat on the back when its done.

I just cant wait to drive it now and hear the 'charger!!

Thanks for your comments guy's.

She's alive!! I've not 100% finished but it was starting to get dark yesterday so thought sod it, took the car of the axle stands and fired her up, and all ok, plus I cant believe how light my clutch is now! I just need to put the lights, and grill back on and give it a good wash. Was a little surprised at how much noise the charger makes even at idle, looking forward to hearing it at full chat now!

Feeling a little chuffed with myself :D

P1010072.jpg

P1010073.jpg

you did well there mate, and the charger does get less noisy with some miles on it.

enjoy your new found power :twisted:

karl

Thanks lads, had a fair but of experinece with cars, but only servicing and wheel bearings, nothing like this before!

Couple of probs though, got a leak on the water flange!! and I cant find the top rad support bracket, took it for a little spin earlier, felt good but couldnt take rev's too high, plus the trackings out and one tyres on 20psi as used it to bleed new hydrauluic clutch.

Loving the noise (not a idle though) and my new super light clutch! :D

Will be all sorted by tonight ready for Stealth on tuesday, they are fitting the red tops for me.

Cant wait for the drive home!

Good going Chris.i would not have the two hoses going to the throttle body,the last thing you want is more heat! jion them together.

That idle noise is normal for them but as Karl said it get better with age!

just a little question mate, why did you not fit the red tops, when you had the manifold off?? thought it would not have hurt for a few days, and it would save ya money when you get to stealth...

karl

Awesome work mate! Im so jealous :lol: i went ultimate dubs with karl and his charger sounds awesome! His car sounds the nuts because he has 6 branch and decat but when sitting i the cue to get in all you could hear was the whining supercharger! I cant wait to get mine!

OK James, I'll join them together - I knew you told me something I had forgotten! (well quite a few things) :lol:

I was advised strongly against fitting the red tops before the remap....(?)

You'll get there Rob!! I feel pretty good tonight, with all the work finshed and by me, the charger sounds good, just not at idle, but I'll get used to it.

Took her out for a bit of a run, needed to inflate a tyre and put some v-power in, its lovely, gave it some beans and it flew! Quote from the nervous girlfriend - "Its ridiculously fast" - job done then. Its not running right, stalled once and it tried to a few more times, cant wait to have it all sorted. Especially the tracking, its a mile out now!