Sign in to follow this  
VRTrickster

What should happen if you unplug you CPS ?

I was just wondering what should happen if you unplug your cam position sensor on a VR6 ?

When I disconnected mine at idle, nothing really happened, should it of done ?

I did run it as well and I think it did run different, its hard to tell as its running like an absolute bag of poo at the minute.

I was just thinking if something may of happened to the CPS pick up that I fitted, may be I damaged it or something ?

confession time - I unplugged mine to see what would happen and nothing did - thankfully have now got over my inquisitive stage though

LOL!

The cam sensor is only used for the sequential injection timing. Pulling it at idle won't do much. The ECU just goes into limp mode (batch fired injectors and retarded ignition) which you won't notice at low rpms.

You WILL notice it past 4000rpm though because of the timing retard. You won't notice the absence of sequential injection (switched off at Wide open throttle by the ECU anyway) at all though, it's purely for part throttle economy.

Right, well I thought it was a long shot thinking it was going to solve my problem anyway !

Would low charge at idle cause it to cut out, and lumpy idle ? Its also started hunting aswell !

I think Im just going to have to increase the overdraft and buy A blasted MAF ! Ive replaced every sensor/switch fuel pump etc, etc ! :mad: :bad-words:

I think Im just going to have to increase the overdraft and buy A blasted MAF !:

Hi

Have you tried cleaning the MAF. Easy to do.

Have you cleaned the ISV

As I said Ive now replaced probably every sensor, relays, switchs, a brand new ISV, coil pack, leads bar a MAF which I did clean, and have swapped for two second hand units. Ive even swapped the ECU. I have vag com, but it hasnt shown much, I sometimes get idle adaption not reached.

Sounds like the MAF...... I know the symptoms well from when my VR was normally aspirated.

They're £150 exchange direct from Bosch, but be prepared to get a DOA though. I did :roll:

MAF sensors are just one big heap of sheet, always have been. Hitachi MAFs are the only ones that are any good. Bosch ones are cr@p. Go standalone with a MAP sensor mate :lol:

Yeah I have been thinking about Emerald Kev. But that's a lot more money, and can you use the sensors that Ive already replaced? I have just forked out for a remap as well! I called my dad to order it through Audi, which will be discounted, but not as cheap as 150! Where did you get yours from as Ive tried Bosch before, and have been told I have to go through a supplier ?

Depends if you have an early or late VR. The late VR MAFs are available cheaply from GSF.

I have a 1994 coil pack with AG ECU I think .