Sign in to follow this  
deano16v

Smoke & red tailights

Hi all, has anybody got an idea where you can buy the half smoked and red tailights that have got a black casing, I have seen the FK ones but I am not keen on the blingly crome casing, I have enquired to ARZ but they are out of stock at the mo and TBH I am a bit hesitant to order from abroad, but it looks like I dont have much choice at the mo.

Don't worry about ARZ, I bought mine from them and they were here in 3 days - great service. I've had a slight fitting issue with the left hand one though - the casing is too high so the light sits slightly too low. They look great though imo, much nicer than any others I've seen with an oem look.

Owen VR6, you can get tinting spray from any motor factors. Savage spray is supposed to be good, and Halfords stock it ;)

Yep, a couple of times.

Take the lights out.

Give them a good clean and rub down with wet and dry paper. Use a course one first, then a fine one 1000+ to get it nice and smooth.

Spray several thin coats (at least 5) of tint. Only takes 10 mins to dry between each coat- use a hairdryer to speed things up.

Have some nail varnish remover handy in cas you make a mistake.

When you're happy with the colour, spray some laquer on. 2-3 coats + it takes longer to dry between coats.

Don't worry if it's not that shiny.

Leave to dry really well for a couple of days- airing cupboard is a good idea ;)

Give them a really good rub down with very fine wet and dry (at least 1200 grit).

Then polish them thoroughly with a cutting compound such as Safe Cut (yellow bottle from Halfords), until nice and shiny.

Sounds like a lot to do, but as long as you take your time, they will look really good.

Good luck!

And don't forget the lacquer, otherwise folloing several washes the tint comes off!!!

Got to re-do mine properly this time.

Is it possible to use a can of lacquer with a bit of red or black paint mixed in with it? I know most paint suppliers can supply this, but wanted to know if it would work and if anyones done it?