Sign in to follow this  
Jon_vr6

Chains, clutch and tensioners

Just been quoted £912.00 for the chains etc to be renewed! at PSI tuning in stoke heres the list:

1x chain

1x chain (top)

1x tensioner hydraulic

1x guide

1x slipper rail

1x upper guide

1x tensioner (lower)

1x main oil seal

1x clutch kit

1x water outlet

1x thermostate

3x seals

1x oil and filter

3x ltrs engine coolant G11

9x hrs labour @ £35.00

Total cost for the above work including VAT £ 912.39

The car would be required for approximately 2 days.

Doesnt seem to bad to me and its including VAT! Have to make sure they use G12+ and not G11 though! Whats everyone elses opinion??

I think that is reasnoble for the amount of work theyre gonna do..#

Decent company also.....

Tensioners and clutch? Not *bad* (it's not down south rates), but Stealth are a bit quicker at this than 9 hours, so you save big time on the labour.

Oh and there's 2 chains at the top ..

The upper "chain" on the Corrado was actually two chains, side-by-side. The later engines (mk3 golf VR6 + ) had a single upper chain. You can fit the later, single chain, but you'd need to swap the intermediate idler cogs and the upper cogs, aswell as using the new tensioner (which you can also use on the old duplex design, if you wish).

thing is it would probably cost me the same in petrol going all the way to stealth which is quite a bit futher than stoke! Im sure PSI knew what they were saying when they sent me the quote! So its safe doing the chains either way?

I have no reason to believe they don't know what they're doing, just being a little pedantic about your part list above.. ;)

I'm doing mine at the moment, but the parts from main stealers cost me around £440, I think a fair price for a garage to do the job is around the 750 mark (as they'd most likely get a better discount than my 2.5%!!).

Do it yourself, there is a good guide in the knowledge base, with all the part numbers, one you take it apart its fairly obvious what needs doing (although I'll admit I had to seek help today) especially with the new parts in front of you. I suppose it depends on if you have the tools aswell though.

The worst you'll do is get one or both of the cams a tooth out, which is easily fixable and won't do any damage in the short term.

If you're methodical and careful, it's very difficult to get wrong tbh.

It's a good experience pulling a VR apart and doing the chains yourself is very rewarding as most people dread getting it done more than going to the dentist!

I understand that the other thing that can go wrong is that you damage the extension to the head gasket, the part that separates the two halves of the timimg cover. You need to be very careful when it is exposed.

Best wishes

RB