Sign in to follow this  
Lovinit

How to Clean Mirror polished alloys??

Hey guys n gals.. Got a set of mirrored alloys n i wanna clean em up as they've become a bit cloudy looking, as they've been sitting in storage, finger marks etc..how can i buff em up again.. What should i use?

any one got any recommendations?

Cheers

James

can't seem to find any of that stuff ..seen this auto glym metal polish..is that similar? bit worried in case i mess them up.. I remember stuff called autosol that used to be available, but can't find any of that stuff anywhere..

Cheers

James

I use Autosol on my exhaust tip and it comes up a treat. I used to use it on my old motorbike frames etc and its really good stuff. I would imagine the autoglym metal polish will do the trick as well. I think Autosol might be a bit more course.

used to use Autosol to polish cryostats, always worked a treat, and is cheaper than Meg's or Auto Glym

Dont use autosol on mirror polished rims, its quite abrasive. I use Belgom Alu which also gives good protection for about 6-8 weeks. You can get some Belgom from thepolishingshop.co.uk.

i,ve been using autosol for my wheels for months now and its excellent brings them back every time but i,m going to try this belgom alu for a change

alu belgom does me get it cheap from ebay too and then use some poorboys wheel sealant, believe it or not alu doesnt seal the wheels for protection

where can you get the poorboys from? I was thinking of polishing and then lacquering mine to avoid the 2 monthly major polish.

For mirror polished wheels,the megs nxt all metal polysh and smartwax rimwax or similar will polish and protect as they contain wax.

Autosol is a near pure polish and quite a harsh one (in mirror polished terms) so will bring up very dull items to a 'decent' finish but not a true mirror finish.

Autoglym metal polish is slightly less harsh than the above.

Alu-belgom does actually contain 'hard waxes' but they dont perform like a pure wax as its more of a cleaner than a polish.

just_say_meth,have you been tempted to eat the rimwax yet? :shock: :lol: smells mint!

Neil. :)

have you been tempted to eat some rim yet? :shock: :lol: smells mint!

Erm keep your private life to yourself Neil :wink: :lol:

just_say_meth,have you been tempted to eat the rimwax yet? :shock: :lol: smells mint!

Neil. :)

Cheers neil arrived this morning, smells like bubblegum!!

i'm such an doof you guys been recommending megs..i didn't get you meant meguiars.. do'h went into halfords...no wonder i couldn't find it.. i jst didnt clock at all...ooopppssss! N e way, off to get some.. altho quite glad i didnt go out n do it this last weekend..its bin bucketing it down...

the Meg stuff protects too? or do i need to get the rimwax for that ?

cheers

J x

Lovinit, You'll need rim wax as well...

Don't expect it to be a polish and forget thing... especially at this time of year, I used to keep my show cars off the roads unless it was very dry, until the beginning of May, as that gives the salt used time to wash away...

If you are using on a Daily basis you'll be re-polishing every week ATM and then 2 weeks if the summer's warm and dry..

Aye,as above...the meguiars nxt metal polysh would be fine if you enjoy polishing the wheels (and it will protect to an extent,which is fine for most) but you cant beat using a specific wax alongside...Its just made for the job,and will prolong the protection period of the megs nxt.

Neil.

just_say_meth,love that bubblegum :lol: tis nice stuff.