Sign in to follow this  
vwdeviant

Blue coolant cap part #??

Any-one got the part number for the blue coolant cap on the expansion tank? '92 2.0l 16v (if this makes a difference)

Noticed at the weekend I've still got a black one and want to bung one on for insurance...

Problem is the local (to me at work) Stealer's is in the City and they get parts shipped in so would like to get this done as smoothly as possible, without the usual:

"It's for a 2.0l 16v Corrado"

"Uh Cordoba, that a Seat...?"

"C-O-R-R-A-D-O"

"Erm.... A what?"

"Oh for feck's sake, it's a Mk2 Golf/ Passat.."

"Ah right yeah we can get bits for those!.."

not sure what the part number is for the new blue ones but if you give them the part number off the old one they should be able to find it.

when i recently had problems with coolant loss from the header tank (turned out to be head gasket) i noticed they had the nice new blue caps on the shelf in halfrauds so i picked one up while i was there, i fitted it and it seemed fine until i removed it to top the coolant up and it left the black section with the pressure relief valve stuck in the top of the bottle, all of the clips that held it together had snapped off and it was a real pita to get back out, so definately avoid pattern part caps.

when I asked GSF for a new cap a few years back the blue one was what I got, didn't seem to have anything else.

I think one of the reasons they are blue is that the earlier black ones had some issues with pressure relief valve, you can only get blue coloured ones now but if you give them the part number from the black one ETKA should provide the newer blue one as a replacement.

Cheers, will try and remember to get that tonight when I get in... (if the old brain's still awake)

Are everyone else's caps large and (sort of) flat as opposed to earlier small domed ones?

when i recently had problems with coolant loss from the header tank (turned out to be head gasket) i noticed they had the nice new blue caps on the shelf in halfrauds so i picked one up while i was there, i fitted it and it seemed fine until i removed it to top the coolant up and it left the black section with the pressure relief valve stuck in the top of the bottle, all of the clips that held it together had snapped off and it was a real pita to get back out, so definately avoid pattern part caps.

If anyone ever has this problem again, warm the car up (not till it's really hot or owt) and slowly updo the cap. the pressure will push the centre section out. And you'll lose some water.

1H0121321C

i think thats it, my receipt just says "cover" and it was when i bought coolant so i assume thats the cap

Halfords also do them

yeah but as i mentioned before ^^^^^ they are crap :lol: definately worth buying a genuine one as the halfrauds ones are badly moulded and made from dried out weetabix :wink:

There was somebody on here recently selling the later, wider blue caps that are easier to pull off, cannot for the life of me remember who...but will keep searching mate!

it was a real pita to get back out, so definately avoid pattern part caps.

How did you get all the gubbings out the tank, my Halfords blue one has self destructed and left bits everywhere inside the tank.

Easy enough to get the spring etc back out but not the particals of plastic

it was a real pita to get back out, so definately avoid pattern part caps.

How did you get all the gubbings out the tank, my Halfords blue one has self destructed and left bits everywhere inside the tank.

Easy enough to get the spring etc back out but not the particals of plastic

ah mine wasnt quite that bad, it just broke loose from the cap and left the black pressure relief valve section in the bottle which i managed to get out by drilling a self tapping screw into it and pulling it out.

if there are loads of bits in the bottle it would probably be best to remove the bottle and shake all the bits out or buy a new bottle from the stealers, not much more than a tenner last time i checked and a nice new bottle looks good in the engine bay.

New bottle sounds good, I'm just worried little bits of obliterated plastic have found their way into the system somehow