Sign in to follow this  
VRTrickster

Running With NEW MAF

I am buying a brand new MAF, but waiting for it to turn up. I just thought Id give one of the second hand ones Ive brought a clean and disconnect the battery and give it a whirl.

Well it didn't go very well, the car was almost undrivable, cutting out, bucketing and spluttering!

So I pulled over after about 2-3 mins popped the bonnet and unplugged the MAF. Started her back up and it idled like a bag of s**t, with the battery light flickering and all!

Obviously it was still learning adaption and stuff, so I run it for I while 5-10 mins and the idle improved, as in the battery light wasn't flickering anymore, but no where near any ideal! The good thing was that it didn't die when coming up to junctions or lights, which just answers what I already knew, it needs a MAF!

My question is though Ive heard people say they were running their car with the MAF unplugged, because of problem with it etc. Will the car idle like it was for me, really, really, lumpy. Even if you disconnect the battery and carry out basic settings with it unplugged ?

It can run with the MAF unplugged but obviously don't expect it to run well.

Well I just called my dad who works for Amersham Audi. He ordered it today and said it was £150, but wasnt sure if that was plus the VAT.

Yes that is a staff discounted price. I'm not sure how strict they are on staff discount and that, but I could ask him. They may wonder why he has ordered two of the same part though. Didn't cheesewire say you could order them through Bosch for £150 exchange ?

The car should run without the MAF, but it will take some time before it finally switches to the backup map, so it will run rough.

It will still run a bit rough when it gets there, but chances are it'll just run seriously rich ..

OBD2 cars (i.e. not the Corrado) can run ok without the MAF - and can be remapped to run without it completely thanks to Vince.

OBD1s are a simpler beast though, and can't really manage too well without it.

Hence why some people convert to OBD2 - better fuelling, and can remove the MAF altogether - handy if going the forced induction route.

Well I just called my dad who works for Amersham Audi. He ordered it today and said it was £150, but wasnt sure if that was plus the VAT.

Sorry for being off topic but my brother works there 8) :D

Sorry for being off topic but my brother works there 8) :D

Well small world eh! :)

Im hoping this is the cause cause of my year long running/stalling problems! I shouldnt have anything go wrong with the engine for quite a while, as Ive replaced every sensor and fuel and ignition components with new!

This has been a costly search and has taught me never to buy second hand MAFs again lol!

I think Ill move to Emerald stand alone if the MAF fecks up again, or I Rotrex it ! Time to pay off what Ive already spent on the damn thing, and that could take a while !

Well got the new MAF on Friday and I was so excited, thinking this would solve all my problems like every part I buy for it, lol :lol:

It turns out that after turning up at my Dad's with the engine warmed up, I disconnected the battery and swapped them over. Took the car out for a spin and it run like a bag of s**t, even after half an hour, cutting out at every junction!

It was also kangarooing and spluttering on over run, it also cut out and wouldnt start for a while as it was flooded or something. The only way I could drive it safely home was with the fuel reg vac hose off it doesn't cut out :?

After I got back from work this evening I changed the MAF back to the original.

I then drove it to my Dads with the vac hose off again , and wow what a difference in power and pull! I think the new MAF is NAFFED!

So just my luck! Ive given it back to the old man to swap and try again!

I'm running the car now with the vac hose off so it doesn't cut out! It doesn't run too bad really, but its still wrong!

I have to just wait for the new MAF and try that. And if that hasn't solved the problem, its time to give up and hand it over to someone else! My dad knows a master technician that would take a look at it for me, but lets just hope the MAF sorts it ?

when did you start to develop your problems with thte cutting out and idling at junctions etc, i have the same problem after i had it mapped and 268 cams, shrek and t/b upgrade. Just want to be sure of the cause before i spend nearly £200 on a MAF that might not be the problem!