Sign in to follow this  
Scoobyboy1

Change engine to a VR6 or keep G60!! + a few other questions

Hi,

Im new to this forum, and have just bought a bright yellow Corrado G60 about a hour ago for £500 :D , now I got the car really cheap from a mate as the engine seems to have a grinding sound coming from it when it just started up, but I dont know if it means the engine is buggered or the fact its been standing for a month, but I decided to take the gamble, and the fact my mate just wants to get rid as he has no use for it anymore!!!!!

Now Ive been thinking that I might spend quite a bit of money on this project, and was wondering what would be the best engine to tune to get more power from it,swap to the VR6 lump(love the sound) and tune it or keep the G60 and have it rebuilt and tune it!

Now I know nothing about tuning Corrado's or any other VW, so any tips or info would be appreiciated!!!! Also any tuning companys and websites would be great!!!

Thanks!!!!! :D

Welcome to the world of Corrado ownership!

Someone will be along to give you more info and advice Scoobyboy1, but i believe the G60 engine is more tunable to the VR6, which can give more power for your bucks.

g-erks (g-werks.com) and Stealth (stealthracing.com) are commonly used by members of the forum and give a good service.

To Be honest mate unless you intend to spend a fortune on a VR6 conversion and then either charge it or turbo it you are much better sticking with the g60, if you want a VR6 buy one don't transplant into a g60, once you get the engine sorted 200+ bhp is easily achievable without breaking the bank.

Thanks for the replys, looks like ill stick with the G60 lump then!!!

Thinking about it the VR6 transplant would be quite expensive and take up to much time!!!

Any order of mods that should be done to the G60 to get decent power from it!! :D

depends what power your looking for really, some guys on here have got around 250bhp (henny, mikeg60, blue_joe) from a g60 with big valve heads, (maybe cnc heads from g-werks) and other mods etc and 300bhp is possible if you swap the g60 charger and go turbo, pretty effective ive read, charged vr's can be around 270bhp+! im no expert tho and sure smoeone will be able to advise you better than me mate as thats about all i know :)

Well charged vr's can be up to 500 or 600 bhp to be fair. Turbo rather than supercharged I mean.

Not to be sniffed at!! :)

or bung a BBM charger on there and dont ever worry about it needing to be rebuilt again, at the same time stick a stupidly small pulley on the charger to give it a bit more go.....then take the G60 block out increase it to 1.9 or 2.0 when you get it rebuilt, and whack a big valve head on it or do what im doing and go 16vG60....

bare in mind going beyond the common tuning (rebuilding and porting your charger, chip, pulley etc) gets very expensive. going 1.9 on the bottom end isn't a cheap option (£1600+) - and changing your charger to a BBM screw charger is around £1500. IHI Turbo'ing your G60 engine in place of the G-Lader will get around 220bhp (approx iirc) and you wont get 300bhp from it unless you also rebuild to 1.9, exchange the head and get a decent map - plus buy anything else you need/want. A few people on here have done the IHI turbo conversion - it costs around £2300 from Jabba.

Just making you aware of the costs - you could quickly get through a couple of grand going beyond the basic mods. Its not as cheap as the earlier posts might lead you to believe. Theoretically speaking - for around a similar price as the big g60 jobs - you could fit a VR engine with a supercharger. but then you want engine mounts, suspension, brakes, gearbox work, list goes on... LOL You'd maybe be best to sort the rest of the car before the engine itself.

Take the car to a garage first and find out what, if anything at all, is wrong with it.

Good luck, and post some pics of your corrado.

bare in mind going beyond the common tuning (rebuilding and porting your charger, chip, pulley etc) gets very expensive. going 1.9 on the bottom end isn't a cheap option (£1600+) - and changing your charger to a BBM screw charger is around £1500. IHI Turbo'ing your G60 engine in place of the G-Lader will get around 220bhp (approx iirc) and you wont get 300bhp from it unless you also rebuild to 1.9, exchange the head and get a decent map - plus buy anything else you need/want. A few people on here have done the IHI turbo conversion - it costs around £2300 from Jabba.

Just making you aware of the costs - you could quickly get through a couple of grand going beyond the basic mods. Its not as cheap as the earlier posts might lead you to believe. Theoretically speaking - for around a similar price as the big g60 jobs - you could fit a VR engine with a supercharger. but then you want engine mounts, suspension, brakes, gearbox work, list goes on... LOL You'd maybe be best to sort the rest of the car before the engine itself.

True, but i was referring to the mods you'd expect to do first IF the G-lader was to be left under the bonnet. Chip and 68mm pulley if cheap as chips for the extra 30bhp.

sure thing - not disputing that at all - just highlighting you can soon get through serious money on a g60. and once you've done the cheap stuff and want more power still - the rest starts to get pricey.

i'd ignore the figures and decide what you want from the car first - all have very different characters

cheapest way to good reliable power from a g60 is a 1.8T transplant IMO. All the engine mounts are the same and barring a bit of turbo pipwork it will bolt straight in..ish. Then you can have any 240 bhp from just a chip.

Or a chipped BAM code engine will give you 270bhp (S3 engine)

dont ruin your g60 by putting a 1.8t engine in especially on those bhp figures(way too high, revo figures by any chance?!).

If you want to have a rare car keep it g60!

any modded g60 could be labelled as 'ruined'. but people mod because it's what they want to do regardless. so no disrespect intended, but i don't think theres a huge amount of value in saying that. Scoobyboy1 - you choose as you're paying! theres a good few people who can give you comparisons of what a well tuned g60 is like to a 20v - some people on this thread already in fact.