Sign in to follow this  
Nugget

Front Brakes

Wondering if anyone could give me some advice.

I was looking at my front brakes (potential wheel bearing problem), checking the pads for wear etc, and found that with the wheel off the drivers side disc was able to rotate independantly from the hub (only noticed when I couldn't get the wheel bolts back through the disc/hub as they were not aligned)

On closer inspection a pin locating the disc and hub together seems to have sheared.

Would anyone happen to know the part number of the pin and how easy it is to get out?

Thanks in advance

On closer inspection a pin locating the disc and hub together seems to have sheared.

I wouldnt bother replacing it, its for location purposes only, the disc is held on by the weight of the wheel when bolted on...

The pin is/was actually a small chamfered head screw, but they nearly always corrode in place and then shear in half whenever you try and remove them.

As Goldie says tho - they're just there to make your life a bit easier when replacing the brake disks and it can be done (with a little more faff) with just the wheel bolts.

If you do fancy drilling the old screw out and putting a new one in, then you're welcome to try. Unless you know what you're doing then you'll probably strip the thread from the hub tho.

You can ask your dealer for the brake disk locating screws - they'll know what you mean :)