Sign in to follow this  
VR6Will

My thoughts on the Schrick Manifold

very dissapointed with this tbh,

Started fitting it friday night and finished saturday morning, all wired and plumbed in without too much bother, however, i did run into a few fitting problems:

1) my eibach strut brace no longer fits anymore (fouls the top of the throttle body)

2) i have had to move my rad forward and inch so the fan doesnt foul the runners on the inlet.

on the road i cant notice any difference at all! so much so i didnt think it was working. so i took the car to a quiet area with no houses around etc and gave the car a rev, the light on the control box changes from green to red at 4k and i can see the flap opening all the way, so it obviously working as it should. I just dont notice any difference at all when driving.

maybe its because my car is so strong already, last time i was at stealth i made 197bhp & 214lbft, its a 2.9 converted to OBD2 with mk4 metal head gasket, BMC and Jetex exhaust system. I wonder what difference on the rollers the schrick has made, personally dont think it'd peak any higher!

Needless to say if i paid £1200+ for one of these i would be very p155ed off, in fact, even if i paid the 2nd hand going rate for one i was still be extremely annoyed and would be taking it off to sell on.

Luckily i didnt pay it at all, its a mates and he asked me to try it out on my car as he doesnt have a working vr6 at the moment.

Worth trying the ECU reset procedure perhaps? Doesn't sound like there's anything mechanical at fault...

I would imagine to get the best benefits of the schrick is also to have the car re-mapped for it,I notice the torque lower down over the stock manifold but I never drove mine without a re-map...........if I had my time over again I possibly wouldn't go for it,as by the time I had mine bought and fitted it wasn't too much dearer to get the supercharger GB

I noticed a difference immediately after driving. There is a very noticeable difference from 2.5 to 4k.

I had no issues with fitting my Schrick. The strut bar fit fine and I don't see why you had to move the fan foreward...unless the car has been in a previous crash.

Corrado_077.sized.jpg

I've heard that the improvement isn't that great for the money...

Think I'd save a few extra pennies and just get a charger instead.

I had one fitted recently in the group buy and was remapped too. I noticed a substantial difference in torgue but not really in outright acceleratin. For what I paid I wouldn't do it again.

I can honestly say i cant notice any difference at all!

VR6 - how would i go about resetting the ecu?

I would hate to have paid for one of these, especially if a remap is needed (another £300+?) before i see ANY gains,

the reason behind the rad having to move forward is probably becuase my car is a mk2 golf, however i had no clearance issue with the stock manifold,

CazzaVR i agree with you,

maybe my vr is just freak with 214lbft already and what the schrick does mine has already!

I was told the benefits weren't that great by a certain Turbo toting forum member, and that a charger would be a more sensible investment, so I didn't go for the group buy.

something is definitely a miss here. you should be feeling a huge increase in torque around 3300rpm, then a change in engine note at 4000rpm.

i never even had the chip and I thought it was one of the best things I'd ever bought for my VR (even more so when it was onlt £450!)

if u dont want it il have it!!

how many miles have you done since fitting it?

the ecu takes a little while to learn it is better to have a remap but if everythings working you WILL notice a huge diffrence in midrange grunt

Does have a lot of torque if it's a standard motor.

But surely you'd have noticed a VSR on there.

anybody know if these are a worthy investment if you have a supercharger ? been thinking about one for a while, but if i can get cheaper power elsewhere i wont bother...?

From comments I've heard, the Shrek + charger clearly doesn't give as noticeable gains as just Shrek + standard motor.

But it's surely got to be a positive thing so just comes down to whether or not you can afford to have a £1k manifold on there instead of spending the money elsewhere. That's what caused me to just go for the charger and not charger + Shrek.

I'd have thought a smaller pulley and FMIC/charger cooler would be a better option, especially if you can stretch to short runner too.

something is definitely a miss here. you should be feeling a huge increase in torque around 3300rpm, then a change in engine note at 4000rpm.

i never even had the chip and I thought it was one of the best things I'd ever bought for my VR (even more so when it was onlt £450!)

its definately working as i can see the flap opening and closing at around 4k, can also see the light changing from green to red on the control unit,

Are you sure you didn't have a VW VSR on before????

yes, certain, lol

if u dont want it il have it!!

how many miles have you done since fitting it?

the ecu takes a little while to learn it is better to have a remap but if everythings working you WILL notice a huge diffrence in midrange grunt

you can have it if you want, it'll be up for sale soon,

been driving the car yesterday and today, done quite a few miles on it now, still cant feel the HUGE midrange everyone is talking about....

Does have a lot of torque if it's a standard motor.

But surely you'd have noticed a VSR on there.

I think the reason why is my engine has more torque without a schrick than alot of engines with one! only way i'd notice its on there is by opening the bonnet.

anybody know if these are a worthy investment if you have a supercharger ? been thinking about one for a while, but if i can get cheaper power elsewhere i wont bother...?

on my experiences of one albeit a NA engine, id say definately not!

Is it pinking between 2800 and 3800 rpm? If so, that's why you don't notice the difference. Or maybe your engine is running a completely fixed map (duff sensor)?

I am highly sceptical that a correctly-running VR6, no matter what the modifications, would fail to notice the impact of a VSR/VGI. I personally gained 40 lbft at 3500 rpm!

Even the guys with superchargers reckon the VGI pads out the midrange quite nicely.

I'm also a bit worried about you having to move the fans to accomodate it!! Shouldn't be any need for that. Yes it's tight, but it should fit fine.

As for "is it a good investment"? Of course not, it's an expensive heavy metal casting that you're bolting onto an already old car. If you want more power buy a turbo and turn up the boost knob. But if you want to get "more of the same" VR6 creamy goodness and fill in that gaping flat spot on the standard car's output, without going forced induction (and all the potentially for engine destruction) the Schrick is the one for you.

pinking is a good point

my golf gained 80 lb ft at 3500 rpm!! its impossible not to notice that kinda gain lol something IS wrong mate

Yes it has started pinking a lot more,

my engine does pink a bit when using 95ron which i have been using recently, i put this down to that,

Dr Mat is spot on.....

You have increased the compression ratio half a point with the 1mm gasket and not mapped the engine for the Schrick and wonder why it's feeling no different - it's pinking it's bollox off!!! :lol:

As for it not fitting properly, that's all down to your install. They fit perfectly in MK3 Golfs and Corrados. We don't have to touch the fans.

Everyone has noticed a big difference in bottom end torque with a VGI, and not all of us can be wrong.....