Sign in to follow this  
VR6Will

My thoughts on the Schrick Manifold

whats this about the american manifold???

The American MK4 12V got a variable intake like the 24V's ;-)

I reckon Schimmel has probably got quite a few lying about his workshop with the amount of turbos he installs :-)

whats this about the american manifold???

The American MK4 12V got a variable intake like the 24V's ;-)

I reckon Schimmel has probably got quite a few lying about his workshop with the amount of turbos he installs :-)

Let hear your thoughts on controlling it then Kev - the US 12v doesnt run the same ECU setup as our late 12v's, and the TB is fly by wire isnt it?

No the Americans are several versions of OBD2 ahead of us and the throttle is on our nearside aswell, meaning the airbox would need moving to the battery area.

I never said it would be a straight forward fitment though.

The mk4 12v intake also uses a drive by wire throttle body.

It hasn't proven to be a popular mod in the states, due to the reasons that were stated by cheesewire.

A popular mod here is to gut the internals on our 2.8 intakes to be like your 2.9 ABV manifolds. We get 2.9's for sale here every once in a while...but the problem with the 2.9's is that they are not tapped for the EGR. Pricewise...its cheaper to mod the 2.8 than buy an actual 2.9 intake.

I'm actually thinking of selling my Schrick for a modified 2.8 manifold.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2996470

Yep...but the extra flow up top may be worth it.

I just installed a pair of Schrick 260/264 cams...the modded intake will flow more air up top for the cams.

The VGi flows about the same up top as the stock manifold.

RSVR6, don't do it, it's not worth it! You will miss the Schrick 2 miles down the road at the first junction you pull out of.....

I had no issues with fitting my Schrick. The strut bar fit fine

What strut bar is that? Looks like a very good fit. Did you need to move the header tank or did it just go straight on?

I had one fitted recently in the group buy and was remapped too. I noticed a substantial difference in torgue but not really in outright acceleratin. For what I paid I wouldn't do it again.

I'm very impressed with mine, but then again I already had an enlarged gas-flowed throttle body and I had Schrick 268deg cams, metal cylinder head gasket, a lightened flywheel, the 3.68 final drive and a custom remap all done at the same time so it probably isn't a fair comparison. :)

Edit: For a start I have wheelspin and torquesteer in 1st now, and I never had that before.

RSVR6, don't do it, it's not worth it! You will miss the Schrick 2 miles down the road at the first junction you pull out of.....

dont think i will,

however, going to inspect this weekend, all week i've been using optimax and the pinking has got a lot less, but still there, will see what happens after this weekend.

Your right...I'll probably kick myself later if I do.

I had no issues with fitting my Schrick. The strut bar fit fine

What strut bar is that? Looks like a very good fit. Did you need to move the header tank or did it just go straight on?

Its a Weichers bar made for a VR6 Corrado, I didn't have to modify anything. I know on the Corrado there are different bars for the VR, 16v, G60.

Maybe use a Corrado VR6 bar on the Mk2 to clear the throttle body?

Its a Weichers bar made for a VR6 Corrado, I didn't have to modify anything.

Nice. I've been looking for a strut brace for the RHD Corrado VR6 that just bolts straight on with no modifcations required for ages. I'll have to look around for one of those.

Edit: Damn, you're in the states so you have a LHD car. That might not fit my RHD car then as I believe there are differences. :(

Maybe use a Corrado VR6 bar on the Mk2 to clear the throttle body?

Is that aimed at me? Because if it is then I'm confused as I have a Corrado VR6. :?

Thanks, Kev

re: the website you mentioned - WTF is a Mk 2 Corrado though? I presume they mean the post-facelift model?

Edit: Not to be confused with the Mk2 Golf mentioned at the start if the thread - I know what one of those is. :D

That's Kev

WTF is a Mk 2 Corrado though? I presume they mean the post-facelift model?

No I believe the origins of this thread are based on a guy with a mk II Golf, it has a VR6 transplant engine in it and he fitted a schrick that he is not happy with.

Mind you if it is pinking then I am not suprised he thinks it is a waste of time fitting it, they don't normally pink just by fitting a schrick.

Mind you if it is pinking then I am not suprised he thinks it is a waste of time fitting it, they don't normally pink just by fitting a schrick.

Its not pinking JUST because i've fitted a schrick, although it has increased how much it does pink!

A combination of mk4 metal headgasket, 95ron petrol and a schrick altogether is causing it to pink,

A combination of mk4 metal headgasket, 95ron petrol and a schrick altogether is causing it to pink,

Vince told me that once I had the metal head gasket and Schrick I couldn't run on 95RON anymore and had to run on Super to avoid pinking.

So perhaps you should stop using 95RON and put some Super in it?

Vince told me that once I had the metal head gasket and Schrick I couldn't run on 95RON anymore and had to run on Super to avoid pinking.

So perhaps you should stop using 95RON and put some Super in it?

i do normal run super (optimax i prefer) anyway, just last couple of weeks have been a bit tight for so 95ron has been going in, i have now done 2 tanks of super and has reduced pinking, but it is still there on the odd occasion,

just get it mapped lol

i know getting it mapped would help, but thats not going to happen, well not with a schrick anyway, lol,

going on my experience i just dont know how people can justify buying a schrick and then mapping on top too, a lot of money for in my opinion not much gain.