Sign in to follow this  
Lippy

Bartering with insurance company

Hey

Just been offered £1500 for my car, less the xcess (350). Obviously a piss take, but has anyone got any tips with how to bargain with them?

I am going to trawl the classifieds to prove the car is worth 2500 (with brand new rims @ 500 quid I think so), has anyone had any similar experiences?

Cheers

Lippy

im in the same boat, but with a fiat punto. They offererd me 800, which imo is 200 less than the market value. Not as bad as your deal, but from what ive experienced, if you play hard ball, at some point they will have to settle, so just be patient, i wouldnt settle for any less than £2000. And get your rims back! Or buy the car back, if possible.

car torched - so everything dead :(

will be patient, can't afford to lose on the cash

had the same thing myself, best advice is to print off as many autotrader/pistonheads adverts as you can find for similar cars (bit hard with corrado's I know) and fax them to the loss assessor as evidence of market value.

They should be putting you back in the position you were in prior to the accident, its less about how much your car was worth and more about how much it'd cost you to buy a replacement. Only a subtle difference but it can help when arguing your case.

nice one Chris, I shall pinch that definition for my letter to the insurance company.

Ta muchly

Sorry to hear about the torching :cry:

But as Chris says - send them as many adverts from here/pistonheads/Auto Trader as you can to prove the car's value.

Send them pics of it looking all sexy (if you have any) and copies of as many receipts as you can lay your hands on.

They always take the piddle with their first offer, so don't back down until you get something you're happy with.

Cant really add anything to the good advice you have had already, just stick to your guns and make sure you take an agreed value policy next time!

Best of luck 8)