Sign in to follow this  
Jim

Nipping up the chin spoiler..

Howdy..

My chin spoiler has, over time, lost a few bolts and is hanging down a little bit limp. I'm guessing you can buy the bolts you need from VAG.. does anyone know the cost, and do you need to take the front bumper off to put em on or can you do them in situ with the bumper still attached and the car just jacked up?

Cheers.

According to ETOS the spoiler takes 5 hex head panel screws (N 015 946 1) costing 28p each, these fit into snap nuts (N 101 473 01) costing 51p each and 5 fitted self locking bolts (N 904 338 01) costing £1.65 each. I would assume this can all be done in situ.

From what I can remember there's a lip on the underside of the bumper and a matching one on the top of the spoiler.

There's then a long folded piece of steel that clamps the 2 together and has some bolts through it.

You can get to top and bottom of the metal strip from under the car, so should be able to put new snap nuts and screws in.

Jim, you definitely dont need to take the bumper off for this.

Its easiest to do with the car either jacked up, or for safety i would say up on ramps.

I have my own make shift ramps (a series of graduated pieces of timber)

One of them jobs where you need to sort of lie on your back, looking up (and all the bits of crap fall into your eyes)

Good info. Cheers chaps. Guess i'll have to get my backside down to the stealers and order those bits. Want to get the chin spoiler nipped up, the new rear tyres on and then drop the front a smidge as its still sitting too tall from the top mounts it got a few months ago! Just never looks right as I look at it out of my window.. think the front is too tall so the stance is wrong.

I always find it easier just to take the bumbper off for work like that, got it down to a fine art now, takes me less than 10 mins and means I can work in comfort

I did this recently with the bumper on. I made up some tapped S/S plates, big S/S washers and screws. Worked a treat and won't ever rust, I'll take a pic tomorrow.

I think I've got some spares if you want em Jim.

Edit - photo attached.

Ah - that'd be good Dave, yeah. Will sort out getting em off you some time. Gimmie a price and a paypal address? Or are you coming to the CCGB AGM this coming weekend?

Not coming to the AGM this time, spending most weekends getting the Rado ready for the road.

I'll let you know about the bits, I'm gonna make some more but do a better job of them as I rushed the those in the pics just to get it back together. Hopefully I should have something done this week.

Dave