Sign in to follow this  
Jon_R

K&N Confusion

I knew I was never going to be able to afford a VR6 or G60 the moment I wrote off my old car and being a reasonably new driver forgot to take the names of any witnesses. My insurance premium is through the roof on my 1990 1.8 valver.

So I have decided to try and get a bit more power out of the old girl so it's K&N filter time, the problem is that nobody seems to agree as to what filter to put in. There seem to be two filters which the sellers of fleabay say will work the 33-2032 and the 33-2029.

Now I am about as adept at mechanics as Tony Blair is an sincerity so I thought I would consult the official website to see which will actually fit to be told both of them will do! Good I thought, I'll buy the cheaper. Problem is the specs are all different

33-2032

Product Style: Panel Air Filter

Height: 1.125 in (29 mm)

Outside Length: 12.063 in (306 mm)

Outside Width: 7.125 in (181 mm)

Filter Re-Oiling Amount: 1.21 oz (36 ml)

Weight: 1.1 lb (0.5 kg)

Product Box Length: 13.5 in (343 mm)

Product Box Width: 7.75 in (197 mm)

Product Box Height: 1.75 in (44 mm)

33-2029

Product Style: Panel Air Filter

Height: 1.063 in (27 mm)

Outside Length: 12.25 in (311 mm)

Outside Width: 7.125 in (181 mm)

Filter Re-Oiling Amount: 1.24 oz (37 ml)

Inner Wire: No

Top Style: Open

Weight: 1.1 lb (0.5 kg)

Product Box Length: 13.5 in (343 mm)

Product Box Width: 7.75 in (197 mm)

Product Box Height: 1.75 in (44 mm)

Has anyone got the faintest idea how I decide which is right?

I think you need to look into this a little deeper. I had a 3032 which was 311mm long and it didn't fit my valver. I think you need the the 3029 at 306mm which drops stright in.

There are other threads on this very subject.

I think you need to look into this a little deeper. I had a 3032 which was 311mm long and it didn't fit my valver. I think you need the the 3029 at 306mm which drops stright in.

There are other threads on this very subject.

agreed i had these very problem

use the search mate you`ll find all you need

know it doesn't help but don't think these things work too good, performance wise your better off with a stock filter..leaves less crap behind.. and the gains with these filters is hardly noticeable IMO... but then you don't have a charger to worry about... so forget everything i said..

otherwise its the 33-2032

8)

J

It might not make your car faster but I noticed a much improved throttle response and eagerness when I installed mine.

know it doesn't help but don't think these things work too good, performance wise your better off with a stock filter

agreed, on a VR that is definately the case, never driven a valver so not sure exactly.

Its louder, which may make it seem like it is doing more, but the K&N I used to have fitted to my VR, if anything, decreased performance

It might not make your car faster but I noticed a much improved throttle response and eagerness when I installed mine.

I found the opposite was true, and the OE box had better pickup, but then that was on a VR

I found the opposite was true, and the OE box had better pickup, but then that was on a VR

I fitted a k&n and drilled the airbox on my valver, pickup was defiantly better but I doubt that was down to the k&n. I think the 'swiss cheese' mod is probably the best thing you can do to a valver in terms of (quick and cheap) induction systems. just drill a few large holes down the wing side of the airbox, dont go mad though - i did and the car sounded like a spitfire until I patched them up again!

Had a K&N cone on the VR which sounded awesome, zero performance difference as far as I could tell but it at least sounded faster :D

Mine is on a VR but just to confuse things the K&N panel filter was originally off a 2.0 16v corrado which is much more shallow than the original paper VR one I replaced. So I don't know whether this would make any difference?

ahh, I was talking about a cone style 57i K&N on mine.

it definately lost something in response.

I have heard good things about the swiss cheese approach too, personally i'd do that

Cheers for the input fellas, a bit confused as to what I am going to do so I figure the best idea would be to have a root under my bonnet and see what the best plan of action is. I can't see myself doing the swiss cheese mod as I simply don't trust myself with a drill and engine bits.

I simply don't trust myself with a drill and engine bits.

dead simple mate, I'm crap at that stuff normally but I managed it without injury to myself or the car (other than putting too many holes in!) once you have the lid of the airbox off, look at how the bottom attaches to the car - 3 or 4 rubber band type things, take those off, undo the circlip at the back and hey-presto, one detached airbox. Take it out, drill a few holes and re-attach!

worth getting a pic to see what we are talking about mate, as it maybe hard to picture

I just fitted a k&n cone to my VR and it definitley decreased performance, too much air getting into the engine and not enough fuel, if i wanted to spend £500 on a download for the ECU then it sort it out but i don't have that sort of money! Cheaper to take it out and get the panel filter fitted inside the original box........ i've been told that that will be better?

When i fitted it, i noticed that someone had already applied the swiss cheese effect to the bottom of my box! more large hole than swiss cheese to be honest!

The BMC is the only thing that really works in a VR as it is enclosed and you can run a cold air feed...

The VR bay is too tight and prone to heatsoak for anything else...

I fitted a K&N to my VR and noticed no difference in the performance whatsoever.

It just got louder..

Took the K& N off and just so happens i'd put part that the ECU joins onto had been put on th wrong way round! (by me i might add........ ) Put it back on the right way round and hey presto it works, still agree with Dr Mat though, no improvement in performance, abit nosier but that's it, better than a drop i suppose! Doh