Sign in to follow this  
bradvr6

9X16's ET15 on a VR?

Hi all,

Been swimming through the vast threads on 16x9 wheels for weeks but still cant decide whether to go for them or not.

Noticed that there arn't many.....if anyone runnning these:

http://www.tunershop.co.uk/uk/shop.php? ... b27db5a588

Specs are: Kerscher Carmona - 9x16 ET15, which I'm thinking may not be enough offset.

I'd probably go for the 7.5x16 on the front and 9x16 rear but I don't want to go down the flared arch route. Would rolling the arches be enough? Or should I forget this wheel type and stick to one with more offset?

Help :?

on the rear of a vr et15 will be fine, its what i was running when i had my brocks on, wouldnt do it on the front tho, i had a et30 on the front.

hope thats of some help

ben

Cheers Ben.

Yeh, don't really want to chance the fronts rubbing. Did you have the arches rolled then? and did they still catch at all?

Just ordered some new Konigsport coilovers so hopefully I'll be able to find a good compromising setup. 8)

Does anyone know of any good places for arch rolling in Lancashire? All I seem to get is...............whats arch rolling???? :brickwall:

no probs, ive got my arches pulled and flared so couldnt comment if they would rub or not, herisites on here has my old wheels on his vr now and if i remember right he cut the lip back a bit on the rears and sealed it with silicone. im sure he still gets a bit of rubbing but nothing major. best bet is to drop him a pm on here mate. as for the arch rolling in lancs i cant help, but i would guess awesome gti would do it, just depends how close you are to them!!

ben

Cheers again Ben,

I might just do that. I'll make sure I pm herisites before I go buying the wheels. Mate of mine has a garage nearby so I'll probably ask him if he knows good body shops close by.

Would it cost a lot more to have the arches flared? and would it look sh1t if I just had the rears done?

Cheers.

My ears are burning :lol: and Ben where the hell have you been hiding!!

I now have Bendy's brocks on my vr (although they look a little different now :wink:) and like Ben said mate i wouldnt go for et15 up front as it looks silly for a start and even with the arches rolled they will catch. I would go et30's up front and maybe space them out a touch like i have done. Et15 is fine on the rear however and like said again i ground the arch lip down (to a safe amount without risking splitting them!) and they do still catch, but i am running it quite low and am running a wider choice of tyre which are 215/40's where as most guys seem to go for 205's which wouldnt catch as much or if you want 215's then you could also get 215/35's which again wouldnt catch as much. I want to go lower though so am considering getting some arch work done :wink:

My wheels had 195's on when i first got them :shock: which was as stretched as THIS :lol:

Would it cost a lot more to have the arches flared? and would it look s**t if I just had the rears done?

Getting the arches flared will cost a lot more mate, someone on here has recently had theirs done for £300 PER SIDE!! But then it requires them flaring the arches first and respraying both rear quarters!

I think it would look fine just getting the rears done because the rear wheels will fill them and the fronts fill the front arches.

300 Squids per side???? :shock:

Think my minds made up! Will go with 9x16 rear and 7.5x16 up front as these wheels only come in et15 for the 9's and et20 for the 7.5's. Then all I have to do is find someone to do the arches for me.

What would you say is a safe amount to grind off hersites? And how did you do it?

Loving that car of yours by the way dude! Deep dish wheels look sooooo nice on a C! 8)

Tbh its not the greates move grinding the return lip of the arches in the long run, especially if you might be getting them falred at any point. The rear arches are double skinned and if the skins seperate you run the risk of them rotting out from within. They can be sealed but that seal gets rubbed off if your tyres still catch and rub. If you are going to cut them, take a little bit off at a time and see how it goes. You can alwsya take metal away but its much more expensive to add it

Gav

Yeah if i could go back i wouldnt grind them again, i managed to take a fair bit off without splitting them but like peanut said it makes things difficult if you do want to get any more archwork done in the future which im looking at. And tbh it would probably catch less with them rolled as the lip is rolled fairly flat where as there is still some sticking out when you grind them and you cant get them rolled at all after. Plus grinding adds the risk of the arches rusting!

Yeah if i could go back i wouldnt grind them again, i managed to take a fair bit off without splitting them but like peanut said it makes things difficult if you do want to get any more archwork done in the future which im looking at. And tbh it would probably catch less with them rolled as the lip is rolled fairly flat where as there is still some sticking out when you grind them and you cant get them rolled at all after. Plus grinding adds the risk of the arches rusting!

But then it goes back to the flappy bit of arch that could go rusty also the risk of cracking the paint when rolling which would cost bucks to fix. The trim a bit off and drive it approach worked for me. The best idea is to buy 8's :wink:

Theres always one with a sensible idea! :)

You know what it's like when you get an idea in your head. Now it's becoming a challenge! :lol: Sods law that all the rims I like are in 9's and 7.5's.

Cheers for all the help guys. Ill post some pics when I finally bite the bullet. Hopfully soon!

Brad.

If you end up putting the carmonas on your vr let me know how much grief it was please mate?

They are my ultimate wheel. Gorgeous :)

Always been a huge fan or the Carmonas.

Rolled my arches and I still get the out bit of catching and mine isn't that low. No tyre damage though. Well worth it and it'll look sweeeet

ive got 7.5 x 16 (et20) on the front and 9 x 16s(et15) on the rears of mine. They are borbet A's - look a bit like the one you are looking at.

Depends how low you want to go really. Mines is fairly low and the fronts only rub on full lock. Before I had the rear arches pulled they rubbed on harsh bumps and cut into the tyres. Now ive had the rear arches pulled they are fine. The guy managed to pull them an inch each side.

Also depends what tyres you want. ive got 195/45/16 toyos T1R's on the fronts and 205/40/16 avon zz3s on the rears. These are both fab tyres.

How low do you want it?

...........and yes, the rubbing on the tyres were worth it,I just ended up cringing over every harsh bump and got used to the smell of burning rubber lol

M15 VW - Not sure how low I want it yet. Ordered some coilovers last week so should have a better idea once they're on. Did you get the fronts rolled? Was going to go 215/40/16's all round cos I don't want to over-do the stretch. Would 205's make a lot of difference?

double-6s - Will do mate. How long it's guna be before I've saved up enough, I don't know. Might have to sacrifice a few nights out!! :lol:

Was going to go 215/40/16's all round cos I don't want to over-do the stretch. Would 205's make a lot of difference?

Well its 10mm difference mate so i would of thought it would make a difference. I reckon if i had 205's on mine it wouldnt catch half as much. At the minute mine catches over most sudden bumps, a bumpy road is fine but if i hit a small pot hole or dip in the road etc it catches. With 205's i reckon mine would only catch on big pot holes and bumps.

205's is a safe stretch mate, i know some wont agree but most people running 9's have 205's on and i havent heard of any trouble. There are even people running 195/40's on 9's :shock:

M15 VW - Not sure how low I want it yet. Ordered some coilovers last week so should have a better idea once they're on. Did you get the fronts rolled? Was going to go 215/40/16's all round cos I don't want to over-do the stretch. Would 205's make a lot of difference?

double-6s - Will do mate. How long it's guna be before I've saved up enough, I don't know. Might have to sacrifice a few nights out!! :lol:

nope the fronts are untouched. They only catch on full lock but then again is down to how low you go. 205/40s are a safe bet

That would be great if you can. Can't wait to bin these sh1t rims I've got on the C at the mo! :oops:

Cheers for all the help guys! Think it's time to take some pics myself and get them in my gallery.