Sign in to follow this  
LisaK

Project Shadow - NEW ROLLING ROAD RESULTS Pg8 and VIDEO!!

Car looks very moody indeed. As for the transmission losses bigger wheels and tyres will have an impact, as will the general wear and tear on running gear, gearbox, CV joints, wheel bearings etc.

My valver managed to lose 38bhp the last time it was rolling roaded and that was with all of the above replaced a few thousand miles before!

To answer the question about the ISVs role in boost control.

The pic below explains how the system works. From my perspective the only reason it is dangerous to remove the ISV is that if the engine is knocking then it has no way of reducing the potential damage from knocking via the boost system - only by retarding it.

Is it not possible to change the cut in point of the ISV with a custom ECU map? It is after all only based on a rev limit of 5600 - 6200 rpm sensed from the hall sensor, with the control signal from the ECU sent to the ISV to get it to operate.

Quick update:

The discs and pads have been changed - I had to wait another day to get the car back though, as the brake fluid had the consistancy and look of oil with bits of rubber in it :? The suspension has been fitted but with the 17" rims, the back hasn't really been lowered that much although the difference in handling is amazing!

I also received my badgeless grill with grill spoiler today which took all of 3 minutes to fit including removal of the old grill ( excuse the cable ties holding the splitter... It scraped due to the camber in the road and half fell off when I was coming off my driveway and haven't got round to refitting it :oops: the bumper needs a tweek too)

badgelessgrill.jpg

great to hear its coming together! handling aside though, let us know how you find the ride on the new suspension after a while - i don't recall anyone running KW v2 on a C on the forum?

i haven't been able to mod mine much yet as it keeps breaking, yours is already looking fab

Ahhh fair enough, your last comment sounded like you were having a dig which is why I didn't get it :wink: Where in Essex are you?

duke_st - I've only heard good things about KW V2 on other cars so thought I'd give it a go. The suspension on the car before was a pile of poo and wasn't even good enough to be sold on so that got binned. If the KW V2 suspension is better than that (and I dont see how it cant be!) I'll be happy :D

i'm near the airport, saffron walden, gt dunmow area?

only yesterday i had to part with £850 after a few more bits needing fixing :( i coulda had some nice rims for that :lol:

Hey Lisa, any updates?

Nothing worthwhile reporting really. Suspension is on, black diamonds are on, got some speaker grills for the doors... and that's about it. Will be getting a full service, incl. plugs and leads next month and hopefully if I have any cash left over, I'll be getting the rear arches rolled or stretched (havent decided yet) ready for my other alloys to go on. Oh and I suppose I best fit my bumper and splitter properly - I'm not sure how long the cable ties will hold :lol:

Just a quick update!

I got a bit sunburnt yesterday after helping a mate with his car as well as fiddling with the rado :( With the C, I started by raising the back of the bonnet to help let the heat out of the engine bay. I know it's a marmite thing but I personally love the look and it does actually work! The supercharger also sounds mega loud now ;)

bonnetliftside.jpg

bonnetliftclose.jpg

I also figured out the "kangaroo at low speeds/flat spot/hesitancy between 1500 and 2500 revs" problem. I started by cleaning out the ISV with some carb cleaner - a fair bit of crap came out but didn't make much difference to the running. I then checked the blue temp sensor - the car almost stalled the revs were that low so I knew that was working fine. The last cheap-ish thing I could think of doing was to change the plugs and leads. I kept with the Bosch W6DPO plugs (1 colder than std) but went for some Magnecor KV85 leads instead of the standard leads.

At a later date I'll change the blue reducer to red to match the leads and the cone filter to black or the original box (haven't decided which yet)

radoengine.jpg

I took the C out for a drive soon after. I waited for it to warm up (as that's when the stutter starts), slowed right down to low revs and floored it... it picked up straight away, no hesitancy, nothing! Although the plugs and leads came to £110, it was a fairly cheap fix considering they were my last resort before I'd take the C to be fixed by my mechanic - well happy :D

result,

I like that bonnet mod, Is it a case of adjusting the lifters or was there drilling required?

That looks cool, my mate did that on his MK1 G60. Does the engine smell get into the cabin much with the bonnet like that though?

Zippy - no drilling at all :D The bottom lifters (that attach to the body) were dropped down as far as they can go on the bolts - don't lift them or it'll drop the bonnet instead of raising it, weirdly enough. The top lifters (that attach to the bonnet) were spaced with 2 sets of washers with the 2 closest bolts & nuts to the screen being a spaced bit wider than the inner 2.

mrbeige - no engine smell as yet. I do get the off whiff of fuel whilst sitting in traffic anyway but I put that down to the slight overfuelling caused by the cam.

Lisa, Nice but be prepared for comments of "oi Love your bonnet's open" at the lights... Got this all the time with the engine lid stand-offs on the bug...

Also you may want to think about changing back to the original filter/box as they give the best charger protection apparently..

Did you ever find a place for the dangly blue plug we were tring to find a home for at Mimms?

Lisa, Nice but be prepared for comments of "oi Love your bonnet's open" at the lights... Got this all the time with the engine lid stand-offs on the bug...

Also you may want to think about changing back to the original filter/box as they give the best charger protection apparently..

Did you ever find a place for the dangly blue plug we were tring to find a home for at Mimms?

:lol: Yeah, I'm awaiting such comments. Brendan used to get that in his '68 bug when he had decklid stand-offs as well.

I've thought about changing back to the original filter and box as I'm all for protecting the charger but it just looks so big and, well, plastic :?

As for the blue dangly plug thing - can't say I've even bothered to look at it. Car is working fine without it so it can stay out for the moment. Knowing my luck, I'll plug it in and it'll mess up something else :lol:

Love the wheels. Really hard looking 8)

Thanks :) The wheels will be changing in the next couple of months though, they'll be staying black but I'm going for 16s instead of 17s.

Alright Lisa,

I was thinking about the Rado the otehr day so thought I swing by and see what you have done to old girl since you've have it.... It's looking the Danglers if you ask me, I'm loving the Badgeless Grille and eyebrow.

Glad to see the Suspension has been changed, I think what was on there before was probably the worst sus ever, god knows where it was from!!!

Anyway it's looking sweet.

Take it easy,

t.

:lol: Yeah, I'm awaiting such comments. Brendan used to get that in his '68 bug when he had decklid stand-offs as well.

I've thought about changing back to the original filter and box as I'm all for protecting the charger but it just looks so big and, well, plastic :?

As for the blue dangly plug thing - can't say I've even bothered to look at it. Car is working fine without it so it can stay out for the moment. Knowing my luck, I'll plug it in and it'll mess up something else :lol:

Was looking at this car before you bought it, i love how it's all black, looks hard as! You could always go down the drilled airbox route if you want giving more protection to the charger but still giving the awesome charger noise!! BTW i did prefer it with standard grill but looks great all the same

AJ