Sign in to follow this  
CTWG60

Wot Not To Do...

How about this one! Complicated though and could of resulted in my death.

Don't try to see if your front engine mount is knickered by:

A: Yourself

B: Whilest the two front wheels are on two separate peices of 8'x4' pieces of ply

C: With the handbrake on but the two rear wheels on a gravel drive:

D: With the car facing an open garage just wide enough for car.

E: By putting it in first and blipping the clutch whilst trying to lean forward and see how much the engine moves whilst standing on one of the pieces of 8x4 ply.

Thankfully the diff decided to shoot the piece of ply out from under the passengerside front wheel and not the one on the drivers side on which I was standing which would of resulted in yours truly doing the splits with head between windscreen and door as it drove off into the narrow garage. Now that would of been one to tell the angel at the pearly gates.

:angel:

How about this one! Complicated though and could of resulted in my death.

Don't try to see if your front engine mount is knickered by:

A: Yourself

B: Whilest the two front wheels are on two separate peices of 8'x4' pieces of ply

C: With the handbrake on but the two rear wheels on a gravel drive:

D: With the car facing an open garage just wide enough for car.

E: By putting it in first and blipping the clutch whilst trying to lean forward and see how much the engine moves whilst standing on one of the pieces of 8x4 ply.

Thankfully the diff decided to shoot the piece of ply out from under the passengerside front wheel and not the one on the drivers side on which I was standing which would of resulted in yours truly doing the splits with head between windscreen and door as it drove off into the narrow garage. Now that would of been one to tell the angel at the pearly gates.

:angel:

And you take the mickey out of mine!!!!

Don't knock an overhead support timber off the inside of your garage roof whilst manouvering something large carefully down the side of your parked up C, only concentrating on not scratching the side panels.

Overhead support timbers (when knocked) tend to fall off in amazing slow motion and put 2" dents in parked up Corrados bonnets!

Ohhhhh the mist...

Don't tell the wife you bought a brand new VAG Supercharger from Germany using your Fathers Ebay/Paypal Account.

And when it arrives tell the wife it's one of those new types of alternator that can be retrofitted and only cost £60. :oops:

Good job I Did get a new one. My old one had jumped a apex strip. It wouldn't of lasted long on 65mm pulley.

Don't assume a VAG FSH is the dogs bollox when buying a car - local stealership admitted that it can depend on what 'needs doing' as defined by each technician's ideas - I have some major discrepancies between my full service last year where some items required attention and, this year, miraculously, had repaired themselves!

Anyone know of a decent garage in Herefordshire where I can trust the fact that they have done the service to the level we would expect?

4give me but I thought that the technicians were trained to a certain level and worked to certain criteria - a check list. Surely they are not just trying to generate work which doesn't need doing?

Suppose we all know deep down not to trust the stealerships, however, as some parts are only available from VAG we have little choice..........

Be very careful not to shear a sump bolt!. I had to have a drill bit welded to a piece of rod as you can't get it close enough to drill out the sheared bolt. I then had to get a tap welded to a T-bar to rethread the hole. won't do it again in a hurry!

Don't think you can have a windscreen fight with a bird (the flying type) and reckon on winning. It cost me a new screen as the old one was covered in blood, feathers and a bloody huge crack.

Don't whilst out bedding in a new set of brake pads go into the bottom of a dip at 80+ with coilovers fitted. You'll be phoning for a tow when you've ground a hole in the sump :roll:

Dont top up the oil and forget to re fit the filler cap and the go for a rather 'spirited drive'.

One I did today... Dont remove your blue temp sender with the sparkplugs out, as a quite amazing amount of coolent will flood out and go straight down number the four plug hole :oops: you will then spend ages stuffing bits of kitichen roll down there trying to soak it up!

Don't fit a cheap JOM grill/grill spoiler and then wonder why it flew off the car at 60mph and hit a Rover behind *whistles innocently*

It's not so much that they are cheap - But did you secure down the sides that cover teh headlights??? If you don't do that securely then they do make a bid for freedom at higher speeds!!!!!

It's not so much that they are cheap - But did you secure down the sides that cover teh headlights??? If you don't do that securely then they do make a bid for freedom at higher speeds!!!!!

That was my job the weekend just gone - it flew off on the Thursday :oops: