Sign in to follow this  
KADVR6

leather re-colouring finished at last

what have you done exactly, retrimmed some cloth seats in red leather or dyed the black leather red?

what have you done exactly, retrimmed some cloth seats in red leather or dyed the black leather red?

Both :lol: he retrimmed the rear seats himself and dyed the front black leather recaros to red.

Karl i am mighty impressed, they look awesome! As said from the first few pics i was worried but they look superb and the red gaitor is a nice touch. Just need to do the door cards now mate 8)

As already said they do look fantastic mate! If I'd kept my C I'd be doing this now for sure! So, whats the plan to get the front seats to recline? And, what did you have to do with the sub frames to get them in?

i just read drewiee99's thread about the oe seats not being full leather (it's a bugger but design engineers at car company's are under so much pressure to save money its an understandable decision!)

KADVR6, did you retrim the rears of the rover recaro's or were they already full leather cos am i right in assuming this dye will not work with the vynil panels?

well done fella they look spot on and a credit to your hard work

cheers for the quick photoshop rob, they do look cool with the red doorcards,

i did have a slight problem with the rear of the seats being vinyl, but all i did was as soon as i sprayed the dye on, i used a hairdryer to dry it quicker, and when the final protective coat went on, it set just fine, put it this way the sides of the seat are vinyl also. but can you tell???

i'm in the process of cutting out the leather for the doorcards, and it looks like i might have enough leather left over for the headlining also.

as for the tilting of the seats, i have 2 old windscreen motors lying around :wink:

the subframes were very easy, i took my seats/some old mk2 golf seats to a mate, he then chopped and fabricated some subframes for me, they are a perfect height for me, will keep on trawling german e-bay for some proper electric subframes in the future though.

thanks for the positive replys.

karl

so is the dye a spray on that in effect covers up the black? or does it actually dye the leather so there isn't any black underneath?

looks fantastic, i just can't get my head round it

so is the dye a spray on that in effect covers up the black? or does it actually dye the leather so there isn't any black underneath?

have you read the thread at all? :lol: ;)

would all the people with leather interiors mind taking some pics of there doorcards for me??? i need some really good pics, so i can get the doorcards finished. i have some material all cut for the templates, but need to see how it is all sewn together, and the angles of the sewing?? sounds stupid, but i want to get them right :)

cheers

karl

have you read the thread at all? :lol: ;)

no i haven't :lol:

i think i should :oops:

no i haven't :lol:

i think i should :oops:

it may help, the answers to your last two questions are on pg1.

Karl, I can try and get some pics of my door cards tonight if you like, you want a lot then?

yeh if you could do dave, 8) and please as many pics as you could take. sorry for being a pain :oops:

karl

no problem at all mate.

I'll see if I have time to pop home at lunch, if not I'll sort you some tonight.

I'll work along the stitching and across the door so you know how OE looks :)

thanks for that Dave :thumbleft: they don't look very difficult at all?? well compared to the rear seats, they dont look difficult :)

give me a couple of weeks, and it should all be done :wink:

cheers mate.

karl

nah, pretty simple really mate, but I thought i'd cover it all so you could get the full picture.

no problems at all Karl, good luck!! ;)

WOW! I always wanted red leather in my car after seeing the M3 beemers!

Looks wicked!

Personal question here but how much has this dying set you back Karl?

cheers

Also while every1 is think about dying thier leather interior(standard factory leather) what parts are vinyl? Backs and sides?

TIA

WOW! I always wanted red leather in my car after seeing the M3 beemers!

Looks wicked!

Personal question here but how much has this dying set you back Karl?

cheers

If you read from the start you'll see :wink:

cheers Stan, looks like some people want to do some dying then?? the whole kit for doing an entire car will cost approx £110, that will give you enough leather prep/dye/final lacquer to do all the seats/doorcards. its not difficult to do, BUT you have to follow the instructions to the letter, and dont rush it. if you use the same kit as i did?? take them up on the offer of hiring out a mini commpressor it costs you £50 to hire it, but the company will give you the money back on completion 8)

as for what is vinyl. and what is leather on a (full) factory leather interior. well the seat centres are leather the side bolsters are leather, the head rests are leather, the complete rear bench is leather. and the doorcard centres are leather. the rest is vinyl?? (bloody tight gits) but the dying kit will cover the vinyl very well, but it just feels sticky for about 2 weeks as it cant (cure) very well. but after a few weeks it does cure very well.

i will be going to the summer scorcher on saturday if anyone wants to look at it all done. and Jenks you cant have red leathers?? it's my colour :lol:

karl