Sign in to follow this  
JIMMI

CONVERTING A PAS VR6 TO NON PAS !!

Hi guys,

In my TFSI conversion i have a couple of issues with keeping the power steering on my VR6, as the mk5 has electric power steering the TFSI motor has no PAS pump fitted, i could swap the belt and PAS setup from a 20vT but id rather not mess with the motor as its too "new" and id prefer to keep it virginal ! The electric PAS rack is a nightmare to adapt so that is no good, so i think my best option is to fit a manual rack, not only will it give a more direct feel but it will simplfy an already complex job ! The car wont ever be a "shopping car" so heavy steering @ low speed wont be a problem !

Which manual rack will i need to fit? Im using the mk5 steering column so the fact that a manual rack is lower isnt a problem? Ive checked on ECP and they list a manual rack for a 1992 1.6 carb Passat, but they show no stock! is this the item i need? If so any idea of a supplier ??

Jimmi.....................................

hmmm...qouldnt a mk2 goof one be a direct fit? i know someone who fitted the adjustable rado rack in their mk2 and it went staright in so id imagine the other way round would be the same

Gav

I'm not sure you can imagine just how heavy the steering will be without PAS mate - you want to be very sure that you can cope with it before you commit to it.

Plus you'll just wear out the column with the amount of force you need to push through it.. (Though the mk5 column is probably better designed than the original Corrado one.)

yeah, a 1.3 golf mk2 without PS is bad enough, don't fancy turning 205 tyres with a heavy front end over them by hand.

A mk2 GTI rack would go in with a corrado column, but you'd need an early corrado UJ (22 spline) and the lock to lock isn't as quick a ratio as the 16v golf power rack, don't know if there is a 16v manual rack, but the quick ratio would make things very heavy.

having driven a 16v with a knackered PAS belt (which I guess is simular to no PAS) its fine at speed but at anything below about 10mph its a nightmare. If theres a way you can get the PAS on there mate it'd be more than worth it.

having driven a 16v with a knackered PAS belt (which I guess is simular to no PAS) its fine at speed but at anything below about 10mph its a nightmare. If theres a way you can get the PAS on there mate it'd be more than worth it.

to be fair, you're having to work against the fluid in a hydraulic rack if the pump goes.

I'd imagine with a proper manual rack, once you are rolling it would be OK, just don't expect to parallel park without a truck sized steering wheel :lol:

The car hasnt got a heavy VR lump up front anymore it has a pretty lightweight 2.0 motor which i'd guess is lighter than any of the engines originally fitted to the corrado ! I am running 205 section tyres which wont help.

However i think with a proper manual rack it wont be too bad (a power steering rack which isnt working is way heavier than a normal manual one !) If it is however horrendous i will have to look @ fitting a PAS pump to the front of the motor in the future.

Is there any rack which will use the same size spline as the stock 94 VR6 one? i dont want to change bottom UJ's if i can help it !

Cheers for the input guys !

Jimmi......................

I would suspect that your insurance company will have something discouraging to say about this WHEN you tell them. And unless you are an olympic-standard weight lifter you will find parking and low-speed manoeuvring all but impossible.

I had a Mk 2 Golf GTi without PAS, 185/60 tyres, and it was a real chore to park it; with 205/50 tyres it's going to be hernia inducing (not to mention dangerous).

Best wishes

RB

I'm sure the fella asked which rack to use, not 'am I a p*ssy'!!!

He's not talking about just disconnecting the pump. He's talking about using a different rack.

We all managed in the old days after all.

i know you'll be making an informed decision on this jimmi but i would add my weight those who think it'll be a nightmare

when i was looking for a polo for the missus - small car, light 1.1 litre engine on 155's - i drove poverty spec 1.1's with no power steering and found them horrible.

i know we all survived for years before it came along but its a big shock even going back to driving a small, light car on skinny tyres without PS now...

I would suspect that your insurance company will have something discouraging to say about this WHEN you tell them. And unless you are an olympic-standard weight lifter you will find parking and low-speed manoeuvring all but impossible.

I had a Mk 2 Golf GTi without PAS, 185/60 tyres, and it was a real chore to park it; with 205/50 tyres it's going to be hernia inducing (not to mention dangerous).

Best wishes

RB

Have you seen my car mate? I think the steering rack is the last one of the modifactions an insurance company would be concerned about !!!

I havent made a decision as yet but as i wouldnt class myself as a weedy little boy i dont think it will be too bad, im either gonna try and mod the electric power steering rack to fit the corrado or ill survive with no PAS. However this is one of the last things ill be doing, ive got a decent list of jobs to do before i tackle the steering. Thanks for the input people !

Jimmi..............

jimmi - i use various machine shops locally and i'd be surprised if we couldn't get the electric rack sorted.

if i call in or when you come over, i'll look at the rack and could take it to a couple of places to see what would be chargged to mod it.

To be honest mate i havent looked into it that much but its actually the height of the thing thats the prob, there will be next to no room at the front of the transmission tunnel for the exhaust and gearcables to fit ! I could cut some of the tunnel and bulkhead away to give more room but i want to know if im REALLY gonna need power steering before i do such a big fabrication job !

Jimmi..........................