Sign in to follow this  
Stan 24v

Failed MOT - Rear Brake Lines

She's in at PSI Tuning having some bits done, and Im getting the MOT done at te same time. Had a phone call today saying she'd failed on a bulge in a tyre :mad: and rear bloody brake lines :(

Andy has picked her up but not had a chance to look at the problems yet.

Anyone have an idea on price for such a job? Are the lines pre shaped or do they need shaping?

IIRC they're pre-shaped. I think the fitment is reasonably easy, its the bleeding and setting up of the brakes once the jobs complete that might take time and incur cost, I'd not like to guess how much though!

built new copper ones for mine when I did the rear axle bushes as they were starting to get really scabby, don't know if the VAG ones would be copper or painted steel like the originals, personally copper seems like the best option, only took my dad a few minutes to make up the lines so it's not that much more work.

I thought the lines cam in predetermined lengths as per ETKA and then they are shaped to fit the car..

Its not a difficult job getting the fluid out it just becomes a two man job when filling them up so as to get no air locks....

If someone knows what they're doing, and they have good access to the underside of the car, and everything comes off without a fight they should be able to make up two new brake lines and bleed the system in an hour or two tops!

I've made up brake lines using a kit and its not that hard to be honest. The difficult bit is scrabbling around under the car, getting covered in brake fluid - which I let 2cc and Tempest do ;)

Well I think Andy is suitably qualified, I was just asking out of curiosity as he hasnt had a chance to look at it yet. I think it needs new hoses at the rear too, more bloody money :(

Time for some Goodridges then mate - fit and forget! GSF is the cheapest place to get them apparently!

Its got them on the front already, though the rears had them too, obviously not!!

Need to get some prices now.

mine need doing too.

Am about to fit 312's so reckon will get them rear pipes all done at the same time in one hit.

Had to put new rear brake lines on my valver few months back for the MOT. They cost a chuffing fortune. I'm sure they were £180 in the end, but as they were so goosed the flexi joints break too when trying to remove the brake lines thus adding to the cost.

make up your own its cheaper and would only take a bit of time. Just watch out for brake fulid its not nice.

Firstly doublecheck whats its failed on, it may not be leaking at all and may have just failed on clips or corrosion /bulges /leaks on the rubber ones.

If its clips easily sorted.

If its the hoses (gently get them off) and replace them with new ones only £7 a side.

Good luck.

Had the prices back, see below:

Hi Stan

Please see following prices.

Supply and fit Powerflex rear axle bushes £200 + vat

Supply one rear wheel bearing - Customer supplied one £8 + vat

Set of No. plates £12 + Vat

Oil and filter £40 + vat (inc labour)

MOT £40 = no VAT on MOTs.

Fit Customer's alternator belt -

Fit Customer's ABS sensor -

Materials for brake pipes and fluid £42 + vat

4x hrs labour for the above work excluding rear axle bushes £140 + vat

Total Cost of the above work = £482 + vat (£559.35)