Sign in to follow this  
mrbeige

Water water everywhere.....

Did a search but nothing really seems to quite explain the issue I've got....

Well, thought I'd treat the Badcrumble to a good goin over today, started by removing the seats to do a proper hoover job on her, to find out that my drivers side footwell was soaking wet, front and back. So proceeded to remove all trim and lifted the carpet up. All the sound deadeneing was wet, but there didn't seem to be any evidence that the water was coming from the heater matrix, plus it just smelt like dirty water rather than coolant. Also checked the door membrane, and that seemed fine, and checked the drain hole in the scuttle which also is fine.

I then remembered that the bonnet release cable clip had snapped and had pulled the hole cable into the car a bit when it did break. So checked the gromit. When the alarm was fitted the fitter ran the siren cabling through the same gromit so cut it a little in the middle then sealed it all up with silicone sealant. Do you reckon tha tby pulling the whole cable through the silicone sealer would compromise the seal enough to wet all the sound deadening over a period of about 2 months.

Your thoughts??

Potentially yes, as the seal from a siliconed jont relies on teh silicone curing on the surface to which it is applied.

Might help to check the windscreen seal too (at the top edge)

Yeah - suffered at the hands of a bad windscreen fitment in my first 2.0 16v mate.. water was leaking in, running round the windscreen and then dribbling down the back of the dash, over the fusebox (!!) and into the footwell..

Took me a while to find that b*stard! :(

Ah, ok. Would the windscreen seal deteriorate over time? Never had a problem before now.

You will need one of these - gasket for the foliage grill...

191819166 - £5

You also want to get 5 of these - 535853832A 03C and 535853837 for the windscreen trim.

You will need one of these - gasket for the foliage grill...

191819166 - £5

You also want to get 5 of these - 535853832A 03C and 535853837 for the windscreen trim.

Can these all be fitted be myself? and I it an easy job?

Yes it is.

(Mr 'charged is not passing the info on very well.)

You will need to remove the screw that holds the corner of the windscreen lower trim, then prise it off.

You will also need to remove the plastic scuttel cover. The foliage grill unclips an then slides off.

Pick the old seal of the bottom of the panel, stick the new one on and put it all back together.

I did take a load of pictures when 'charged did his yesterday and will get around to a 'how to' over the next week with a bit of luck.

You will need to remove the screw that holds the corner of the windscreen lower trim, then prise it off.

I'm guessing it is stuck on with some sort of sealant them? If so will I need to reseal afterwards? I've got some black sealant that I used to stick the trim back on that sat around the top of the passenger side of the screen. Will that do?

I did take a load of pictures when 'charged did his yesterday and will get around to a 'how to' over the next week with a bit of luck.

A "how to" could be quite beneficial!

No sealant needed. It is a piece of foam rubber that has adhesive on one side of it, just peel it off and stick it on.

Cool! this isn't likely to produce water in the drivers footwell though is it?

Depends.

Do you park your car on a slope or camber?

The water could also be running through the large box section of the heater ducting and coming out behind the centre console and into the drivers footwell.

I would still change it and see if it fixes it or not. If not it is another job off the list!

Cool! this isn't likely to produce water in the drivers footwell though is it?

I was just about to say that. Judging be the state of my old one you might as well do it as your first port of call though, not expensive, and as yandards says, it's a good place to start!

How's your drivers door seal looking? If that's bent or cracked it could be the problem, unless you've got a hole in the floorpan :wink:

Good thing it's getting warm outside as it'll help you dry the carpet and underlay quicker (did mine in the middle of winter, took weeks to dry properly!)

Great 'How to guide'.

I think there's a little job I will be doing soon. And while I'm at it I could swap a certain part over from one C to another ;)

Great 'How to guide'.

I think there's a little job I will be doing soon. And while I'm at it I could swap a certain part over from one C to another ;)

Just buy new bits for your Storm and stick the 'old' bits on the 8v - its the way forward for me ;)

When this happened to my car, it was the heater matrix (behind the dash :( ). If the windscreen mists up and stinks when the demister is on, that'll be it! Another common cause of damp in all vehicles is the door membrane (remove the door card) it needs to be intact and taped (gaffa tape) to the door around it's edge. If yours are missing, just use heavy polythene, bin bag will do!

Hope this helps.

If yours are missing, just use heavy polythene, bin bag will do!

Good tip but VW have replaced this part now with a roll of foam that you cut to shape. not expensive but maybe not any better than the above...