Sign in to follow this  
Son of a Beesting

People who know my car(ex crazymarcel/gradeafailure) help me

Hi

My car has been giving out puffs of white smoke on overrun even when warm. I noticed when its cold it gives out some white smoke and on overrun at low revs below 2500 rpm it pops and bangs with a puff of while smoke. Am i to assume its overfueling? I replaced all the temp senders a few months ago.

What do people think of the above. I found a post by the previous owner saying this:

'Mine's started to give a little puff of smoke on acceleration after overrun, but it's more white smoke than blue, and strangely enough it only does it after low-revs overrun (2500 and below) rather than high-revs overrun. It does noticeable pop and fart on low-revs overrun and not when at the higher revs, so are the two linked? Doesn't seem to be using ridiculous amounts of oil, and it doesn't smoke on startup either. Head was done at Stealth 2 years ago by the previous owner, so I can't believe the valve seals and guides are shot after that short length of time...'

and kevhaywire came back saying this

'Gareth also had problems with the breather causing all 6 plugs to foul up with oil, so Stealth retro fitted a later PCV filter and ran the vacuum hose over to the brake servo outlet and that stopped the problem.'

Am to presume if I reattach this breather all the problems should stop?

I am stupid and i am unsure where the pipe needs to go (not sure were the brake servo outlet is). Can anyone help maybe with a picture as I am that thick.

Thanks

I reckon best thing to do would be speak to either Stealth or The Phirm about it tomorrow - Stealth as they did the retro-fit, and potentially The Phirm as Tim knows shedloads about VR engines as well... :)

Anyway, when do the pics go up mate...?!

I've been told in the past by a certain Sir Kevin of Cheesewire that a certain amount of white smoke on overrun isnt anything to worry about, obviously that'd depend on how much smoke I guess and it certainly doesn't mean there are no problems there at all. My old VR used to white-smoke a bit on overrun, no VAGCOM faults and a seemingly otherwise healthy engine.

Which part of the breather pipe fell off? The main one off the rocker cover or the thin little one that connects to the PCV filter in the main pipe?

The little pipe goes over to the servo hose. If you look under electric water pump, you'll see a black and white non-return valve with 2 outlets. The thin little hose connects there and goes over to the PCV filter.

The main breather hose just comes out of the rocker and goes into the intake hose.

Are you sure it's white smoke and not blue? Does the smoke smell of burnt oil?