Sign in to follow this  
RADO.001

mk3 2.0l 8v GTi?

girlfriends bro has just bought one off a friend of a friend, with out knowin much bout it and wants me to look at it.

but i dont know much bout mk3 or the 8v lump, so any info, ie: spec, what to look out for (rust) and good mods would be great?

cheers Dave

spec-wise, electric everything and better seats (the one i owned had leather - not sure on the cloth interiour?) colour coded bumpers, usually with black plastic inserts unless a later model, plastic arch covers, small spoiler. not sure what else the GTI got over the lesser models?

Rust is common on the sils and around the door-shuts, rear tailgate around the wiper, also a good idea to check under those arch trims. rear bushes can be a problem on older cars, worth checking at least.

the 2.0 8v isn't a bad engine, 90ish bhp i think, decent low down torque from what i remember but gutless higher up, they handle like a wet sponge if they're on stock suspension though.

well form what hes told me just now (hes not too car friendly but ive got him into dubs)its a:

j reg, 140k, 3 months mot & tax, new clutch, bbs rims (dont know witch), k&n filter and FK's?

sounds like its fairly well on its way to being sorted already!

I collected a load of photos when I was looking at modding mine, most people seem to get the later full colour coded bumpers from a highline, remove the plastic arches and fit GL/CL side rubbing strips (the GTI ones blend with the arches) and fit a VR lower chin as its deeper. Vento front end conversions can be done too, creating a Volf! :lol:

You can actually make them look very tasty without too much effort

i dont think he go as far as those (witch are very nice) but i just want to know as much as i can just incase he asks.

what have u done to urs chrishill?

sold it! :lol: I didnt have it long enough to do anything major to it but I had planned to swap the bumpers, remove the arches and do the side strips, its no 'too' expensive and really improves their looks IMO

theres a new down side, theres only bout 9 months worth of history with the car!?

can i dig out sum more from the vw stealer, if so what will i need for this (ie: reg, vin number....)?

'Golf3" ( the bottom pic ) looks fapping lovely for a MK3!

yea but im not keen on the extended indicators, much prefer them to be smoothed out with the vento front end like the second pic 8)

Yes, the 2.0 8v is 115 bhp, with the 16v being 150, hence much higher prices and insurance. The early pre '95 ones are prone to tin worm as the paint is thinner, and the boot isn't galvanised like the later ones, oh and the lower side trims always rust away!! Plus the front disks are slightly smaller on early versions.

Whenever I've bought a new (2nd hand) If i can't find any evidence of a recent cambelt change I get it done ASAP! Better to be safe than sorry!

TBH they are pretty easy to do on those motors, helps that they have huge engine bays, those 2litre lumps look lost :)

Whenever I've bought a new (2nd hand) If i can't find any evidence of a recent cambelt change I get it done ASAP! Better to be safe than sorry!

TBH they are pretty easy to do on those motors, helps that they have huge engine bays, those 2litre lumps look lost :)

Agree with steve here, if theres no cambelt history get it done. Got a '97 colour concept, look out for rust above the rear wiper motor and just above the windscreen also the sills as mentioned. Great wee cars just not that quick!!

pretty good actually mate, I regularly get high 30's mpg (37-38) on my way to work (from the mfa) and a tank doesn't cost the earth to fill.

The later models do last better, you can tell cos the side repeaters are oval as opposed to square on the earlier ones.

i had a mk3 gti for a bit ,really nice cars not too quick but enough ,really wish i still had ,ended up set on fire in my mates garage .loved the interior ,seems really sturdy compared to mk2's and corrado's .

yea ive got a mk3 1.8 driver, and i cant really fault it. had it 3 years now, but its sort of turned into a spare car for me & my parents as i get a lift to work now.