Sign in to follow this  
StuartFZR400

Central Locking checks

PROBLEM STILL HEREOk, there are thousands of C/L threads all of which seem unique in thier own way. I've a intermitant problem thats just started...

The problems on the C as follows (ignoring the alarm fob and taking note that the drivers door uses a second [different] key): unlocking the drivers side door typically now only unlocks the said door (no CL noises are made), yet unlocking from the passenger side will activate and unlock all doors/boot. Similar issue when locking the car, and the passenger side will also shut windows/roof. Sometimes, when I get in via the drivers door, I open the door and it makes the CL noise as if its trying to lockup.

1. Therefore you may suggest a local problem in the drivers door (and not pump related)? Would it be electrical or local-pipe/vacume related?

However I have also had the recent problem that the car tried to lock me in, as all doors locked by them selves. I had to turn the ignition back on and try again.

2. Therefore you may suggest its electrical?

And lastly I'd note that the sigma alarm started to play up a few months back, where the alarm would go off for no reason.

My issues seem to cover a few different areas but may all boil down to one problem area. And the question comes, do you:

A) take it to an alarm place and ask kindly if they would check the old alarm. B) N/A

C) check for usual central locking issues your self.... and if so how?

ie - what would you check, and how do you do that?

-- my concern is I dont know what to pull/prodd. Is there not a plastic sheet within the door that could be brittle and break, cause water ingress and be difficult to replace?????????????

A few threads point back at some wiring that corrodes and shorts? Is this in the door? Is it easy to get to and fix?

cheers in advance

Corroded drivers door handle switch....

Just pull the handle out (gently) to have a look, probably find the wires just dangling...

Will the door hand have clips at both ends to keep it in place then? Just being careful not to break those clips and dent the door i guess...

_____-=|__________|=-_____

terrible diag'. lol. Shorting the wires.... yep could well be - its been raining recently. I see no way that the rain is kept out, as the thin strip behind the handle looks all warped out of shape.

Yeh, I am fairly certain it must be the electrical switches within the drivers door, or any wiring from there up to the pump.

I took the drivers door handle off to find that the sheethed wire ran into the handle and showed no signs of corrosion or fouling - so must be the SWITCH (if there is one / where?). This wire seemed to run down inside the door to a plug; male into female. This then ran out of the door into the unknown – presume back to the pump.

Can anyone confirm where the switch/activation is for the central locking on the drivers door? Is it in the door, or is it in the handle, or do the wires carry a signal all the way back to the pump to an switch & actuator?

Be great if someone could describe the wiring and switches…! cheers

Hmmm - I think the plug unclips and i have seen a lot of corroded ones (on the handle side) - I suppose if you suspect the switch then you could try the handle from the other side on it but they are so delicate (the wires) that you risk breaking something...

BTW - the big plastic thing you mentioned behing the metal I reckon is the central locking actuator, thats working - it's just the drivers switching thats the issue...

When I say swithc, thatsa complete guess. I've got no idea where the switch is. You can have a laugh at my Rolf-Sketch and see if you can point me in the right direction.

door_lock_thumb.jpg

The actual handle it self is very compact and nothing seems loose. I was afraid of pulling those innards out in fear of breaking that healthy looking wire. You dont mean I should do that right?

As for inside the door, as you know, everything is so hard to get at. I cannot remember the layout inside the door exactly, so dont take my sketch literally, but all I could see was (A) the rod to the manual door pin/lock, (B) some kinda large motor - are you saying this is an Actuator? , © a plug - for some reason the wire from the handle goes inside the door all the way down to this plug, and out the other side of it -- is this to let you replace shorter sections of wire (ie if you bought a handle, it would come with the wire and one side of the plug with it)?

© the plug looked very clean inside. Suppose I could try contact cleaner in it, once I get some.

But any chance of explaining where and WHAT the parts are?

If this mechanism (B) is some kind of switch or actuator, Im guessing its very expensive. How do you get at it, to run a multimeter across it?

Hello mate - just got your PM - sorry I don''t think I made myself very clear above...

Ok, the CL is working fine from the pass side so as far as the whole system goes it is working, the problem you have is with the drivers side door lock not switching the CL open / closed etc...

There is a switch inside the handle that may be the fault but it's more likely to the the wires corroded and shorting that go into the handle (I think they plug in but when you buy a new handle they come already attached...)

On your drawing the wires from the handle go to plug 'C' - red, brown and black...

'B' is the CL soleniod that attaches to the air system and lifts rod 'A' - thats working fine as far as I can tell...

Test - if you unplug the 'C' connector... put a wire into the plug which goes to the brown lead (into the loom not to handle) and short it to either of the other 2 wires in the plug, the CL should lock / unlock depending on which is which... if this works then the fault is on the handle side of things...

cool thats better.

you say the switch is inside the handle. Can I take the handle apart?

As said, it seems fairly sealed and robust, as the wire just dissapears into the handle. Would it mean needing a NEW handle inclusive of innards (switch)?

i had a similar problem with mine and it turned out that the vacuum pipe had come out of the motor in the drivers door. simply reconnected and it works.

hope this helps

hmmm, back to the drawing board for ideas guys ......... possibly need to understand how the whole CL works now.

The locking problem remains.

I unhooked the electrical connection to the drivers door handle alone. I used the drivers door (obviously without central locking on this side, as its disconnected) with no problems. Therefore thought the problem must be the drivers handle.

However I came to use the passenger door, where the central locking works fine; or so it seems. I unlocked the car from the passenger side, opened the door, shut it again and locked the car fully, whereby the roof shut too.

5 minutes later I got in via the drivers door, where obviously only this door opens with the normal mechanical way. Got in the car and as the door shut, the entire CL system did a self LOCK, and locked me in. So therefore the SAME PROBLEM remains.

Any ideas what the problem is?

. has disconnecting the drivers side electrics done this?

. is there a main CL switch somewhere in the car, possibly beside the pump, that sends a signal to the CL to lock and is faulty?

. how easy is it to check all the pipes? (although still certain its an electrical problem) :(

Hi staurt, i know these threads a bit old now but it seems like if got the same problem as you.

My C/L works fine from the Pasenger side door including the full closure however the drivers side will only lock that side and nothing else, ive swapped the handles around and the problem stays so its def not the switch in the handle. the guy i bought it off removed the alarm system and i was hoping that when i get a new one fitted it will hook it all back up.

Have you had any joy with yours and any chance you could shed some light on what needs doing, cheers.

Humn I have a similar problem on the VR.

When I got the car the CL only worked on the drivers door.

It now does not work at all, tried a few things like checking for volts at the switch point from the handle into the door and I have also disconnected both handle electrical cables where they are mounted in the door, I then tried using a piece of wire to short two of the terminals to see if I could the CL to actuate. This would in theory allow me to prove that the door handle wiring was bust and not something else.

Needless to say I still dont know whats wrong with it but I do need to check the plugs on the control module behind the passenger rear quarter card to ensure they are fitted correctly and not corroded etc.

i've just looked behind both rear quarter cards for the c/l control unit, on the passenger side there just seems to be some sort of signal amplifier, for the remote c/l or radio maybe (only a red and black wire with spade terminals) and on the drivers side i thinks its the electric window control module (unplugged it all and the passenger c/l still worked but the leccy windows stopped).

can any shed some light where i might find it or even if one exists?

i've just looked behind both rear quarter cards for the c/l control unit, on the passenger side there just seems to be some sort of signal amplifier, for the remote c/l or radio maybe (only a red and black wire with spade terminals) and on the drivers side i thinks its the electric window control module (unplugged it all and the passenger c/l still worked but the leccy windows stopped).

can any shed some light where i might find it or even if one exists?

Should be a big old beast about the same size as the electric window control unit, around a 9 plug connector on it IIRC.

Try the CL pump r/h side of the boot.

Right got a central locking fault finding chart in the back of my electrical manual, attached below (It will need rotating done it that may round for best resolution). Give it a whirl folks!!

cheers for that yanyards.... its pointing at the switch in the drivers side door, i know its ok tho as i've swapped them round and it definately works on the passenger side. So i guess it pointing at a dodgey wire/connection somewhere between the connector in the drivers door and the control unit/pump....

still cant find the control unit tho, its not not behind the rear quarter cards and its not near the pump.... unless its built into it (doesnt look big enough tho)??

Yanyards, You wouldnt happened to have a wiring diagram for the C/L would you? and if i manage to pin it down ill let you know straight away.

thanks

got a similar fault too... Honestly - I never stop having to fix the central locking system!

When locking the drivers door - all locks ok with C/L.

When un-locking the drivers door - C/L is bypassed and only the drivers door locks. Despite replacing that handle within the last 2 months. The second dead locking (is that the correct term) kicks in locking both doors again anyway.

Locking/un-locking via the passenger door opens/closes both via the C/L.

I have one other annoying issue - the C/L is no longer activated via the alarm fob now. I don't have a clue what to check. Don't want to hijack a thread - but does anyone on the side know what this may be or what to test/try?

Thanks!