Sign in to follow this  
DUBAI-VR6

Corrado VR6 Auto Box Issues!

Hello,

I am a new member and looking to pick your brains!

I am looking at a Corrado VR6 1994 with a genuine 60,000 km imported from Japan (as they all are over here in Dubai). The thing is soooooo clean it is unbelievable, absolutly untouched in everyway! I went over it with a fine tooth comb and it is genuine I am sure, however, I took it for a spin and it won't change out of 2nd (Auto Obv). It is a real shame as I really want it and I can get it for a sweet price (approx 11-12K AED - 1500-1650 quid) as they are pretty unwanted over here.

I am wondering, it may have been standing a while so could this cause it to not want to change up? Is there andy common faults with the auto box. Any ideas?

Gearbox work is relitively cheap over here due to labour being pretty much free so even a box swap could be worth it.

What do you think? HELP!

Welcome to the forum!

It's probably just low on oil but you need vagcom really...

Cheers man.

Vagcom? Excuse my ignorance but I have been a Pug Gti boy for the last few years and am only now turning to the dark / light side (still to be decided)!

I did take the dipstick out of the transmission and it looked ok. Nice and clean and covered the dipstick.

Currently thinking that if I knocked him down I bit I will take it as to be fair other than two small scratches on the bonnet it is near show quality and then I can get a gearbox guy to look at it. Thankfully just won enough on the football to cover it! Happy days!

Any comments ideas would still be greatly appreciated tho, however, I do understand that you are all manual box boys. Its a bugger out here as the manual versions are like rocking horse sh*t - not that common to say the least.

Get it scanned (VAGCOM) to see if it throws up any errors. Then, change the fluid and filter and add a good auto tranny additive. See if you can change gears manually as it should change quite quickly u to third and then to 4th by the time you are at about 50mph.

If you can, get the hydraulic pressure checked per gearchange. There is a port on the top of the gearbox for this purpose.

HTH

Get it scanned (VAGCOM) to see if it throws up any errors. Then, change the fluid and filter and add a good auto tranny additive. See if you can change gears manually as it should change quite quickly u to third and then to 4th by the time you are at about 50mph.

If you can, get the hydraulic pressure checked per gearchange. There is a port on the top of the gearbox for this purpose.

HTH

So does this sound like a common enough problem?

I know it is hard to tell without looking etc but if I want it I will have to take it as seen with no comebacks and with the amazing condition that the car is in it would be a super waste to let it slide, however, obviously I don't want to be spending BIG bucks if I don't need to.

To be honest I am pretty sure I will get it but I just want as much info as possible!

It rings a bell. But I don't believe it's a cheap fix. Dig around on the search, I think we've seen similar problems before.

IIRC there's a bunch of sensors inside the auto box that should tell it when it needs to change up, and they can fail. It's a whole box stripdown to replace them, too .. :(