Sign in to follow this  
costa-corrado

1.8T Transplant

Does anybody have an idea what a 1.8T conversion costs and how much hassel is involved putting one into a G60 Bay?

Would it just be easier and cheaper to do a full engine rebuild on my existing G60 engine?

Cheers

I think it all comes down to personal choice. Could cost anywhere between 3-5k for a 1.8T conversion. An engine rebuilds going to be considerably less than that.

Them 1.8T's dont take much effort to put out 280-300hp though.

ye iv seen Just a thought really i always wondered about a 4x4R32 engined rado but i think the costs may skyrocket a little bit!!!!

Im gona look into it more for reliability(as wel as close to 300BHP) but i really dont want to loose the G60 flava you know.

Has anyone ever turbocharged a G60 lump?

jabba do a G60 turbo conversion! They had one at the croft track day last weekend!

£1600 of your english pounds!

I've 1.8T'd my corrado! Best thing I've ever done!

i turbo'd mine and its awesome but it did cost alot but its different and cant get more than 300bhp without losing reliability.

So rado-steve How much around is a 1.8T Transplant gunna set me back?

Also was t a fairly simple swap or a complete ball ache?

Cheers

Well The guys that did mine did for roughly 1/2 the price JBS will quote you! Depends on the Motor (150 KO3, 180KO3S or 225 KO4) and what else you want doing really!

I'm really pleased with mine! Goes like Fook (even std) and a i'm a simple remap away from an easy 230-240Bhp!!!!

It's a fairly simple swap into a C 'cos all the hydraulic clutch and everything is already there, Wiring best left to the experts and you'll need downpipes fabricating etc etc plus custom intercooler!

I see your from the NE, I go to most local meets, Section 5, VagCars etc, pop over and have a chat, The 2 lads (Andy and Andy) have really done a 1st class job like!

HTH

Steve

Can someone enlighten me, not too hot on the turbo VW engines. Is the 20vt a different engine to the much mentioned 1.8t. If so, are they both 1.8, 4 pots.

Hi mate get a 1.8t lump, pretty good price wise as so many around, youve already box, mounts hyd clutch etc so go to a company http://www.qpeng.co.uk speak to ben and they will make/sell you a plug in loom that takes only couple of hours to fit retaining all standard clocks etc. You will get a deal if you buy that and a downpipe together all pre mapped, excellent reliability and customer service 2nd to none, this is a top quality piece of kit

Hi mate get a 1.8t lump, pretty good price wise as so many around, youve already box, mounts hyd clutch etc so go to a company http://www.qpeng.co.uk speak to ben and they will make/sell you a plug in loom that takes only couple of hours to fit retaining all standard clocks etc. You will get a deal if you buy that and a downpipe together all pre mapped, excellent reliability and customer service 2nd to none, this is a top quality piece of kit

Why??? When you can use all the original VAG loom and have the reliability of being able to Plug in VAG-Com if you have any probs!

VW didn't spend millions of Euro's developing the Management software for nowt you know!

Yeah granted just pointing out options to the fella, as all dep on budget etc and ability to do wiring yourself and if your lucky enough to get an engine with an un-butchered loom if you cant qpeng is very good option! But wouldnt you still get fault codes come up as there are certain features you wouldnt need? also interested as my engine in but not wired up but i have complete loom incl dash but no keys i know you can get imob defeat now but wouldnt know where to start

Rado Steve, thats the first time I heard anyone suggesting that using a new loom such a qpeng might not be the bets option to take.

Can anyone elaborate more regarding the positives and negatives of changing the loom when swapping engines.

Not saying the Qpeng isn't an option, I spose if you have bought a motor with no Loom ECU or keys it could be a hassle free way of getting it to work! As trying to track down the right loom and ECU for the motor you have might be a complete 'mare! Plus last time I looked Qpeng was a tad pricey!

I did a fair bit of research and looking at other conversions, talking to the main players in conversions ie JBS, Awesome, Dubsport etc etc! Before plumping for what I've got!

With quite a few of the DTA/Emerald etc equipped cars, they pop and bang, never run well from cold have had many expensive RR sessions to set them up and still the owners have the Laptops out fiddling with the map! If thats what floats your boat then fine, but not me, I'd rather get in, turn the key and drive without the hassle and know it's going to run as VW intented!

I think they're are a couple of 1.8T corrado's on here running std VAG management, Think Jeffcabbage's BAM equipped Corrado is on VAG running gear! I'm even using the DBW throttle!

As dsj20v pointed out earlier, mine does through up a few fault codes when you plug in VAG-com but it's always the same ones, Intrument cluster, Airbag and summat else! Mine's even running the air pump that they come with :) Makes for weird start up noises!

If I had everything there, I would get the ECU De-Transpondered and a Loom made (Roughly £300-500) and have be safe in the knowledge that you have VW diagnostic software to trace any faults/probs you may have!

thats my 2p worth anyhow!

I think they're are a couple of 1.8T corrado's on here running std VAG management, Think Jeffcabbage's BAM equipped Corrado is on VAG running gear! I'm even using the DBW throttle

yeah im running factory management with a custom code phase 1 remap im also on drive by wire