Sign in to follow this  
ross.taylor

Why is my VR6 so low?

When I bought my VR6 around 18 months ago, I discovered that it had 16V Weitec dampers and springs fitted. So I got hold of some Spax VR6 springs which their website said were 40mm drop. I had these springs fitted on the Weitec 16V dampers. The ride did improve, and it seemed to sit a little higher. It might be my imagination, but it's almost as if the car has settled down quite a bit since this was done.

However I have TT Competition alloys fitted with 205x40x17 tyres and they rub on any sort of dip or bump, especially at the rear. The rear does seem to ride lower than the front, with no gap between the tyres and arches. Surely this is lower than 40mm?!

I used to have a 16V with a full Koni top adjustable kit which rode beautifully and the 17" alloys never rubbed at all. (I think they were a little narrower than the TT comps.) I'm sure that the 16V rode quite a bit higher.

Will getting different springs solve my ride height issue, or will the 16V dampers be causing/contributing to the issue? I am on a tight budget, and so I'm looking for the cheapest solution.

Perhaps your car had shorter shocks fitted with the Weitec springs? By only changing the springs you would not then solve the problem.

Do the Weitecs have height adjustable spring platforms at the rear?

This is the exact same problem you get with the Eibach springs, even with the rear Koni at it's heighest setting.

H&R seem to be one of a handful of spring manufacturers that actually get the rear and front height balance right....but it also depends on the dampers aswell and where the spring mount is.

No idea about height adjustable spring platform, I had them fitted by a mate who is a mechanic. Do weitec do more than one basic kit for a 16V?

I was concerned about the possibility of short shocks, does anyone else know if that's likely to be the case?

You mean the weitec 16V basic kit was lower than the VR6?

Wouldn't this mean that the Spax VR6 springs that I now have fitted are over compressed in their natural position?

Sounds more like around an 80mm drop if the arches are level with the tyres. Mine are just above and it was dropped around 70 - 75mm.

I think TT comps are 8 inches wide aren't they? With that much of a drop and 8 inch 17's you're definately gonna have tyre-eating arches!

I would not trust most websites to provide accurate information about drops, they usually dont agree with each other!

Have a look on the spax website and see what the actual drop of your kit is.

The shorter shocks are only really going to limit standard height springs as well as make the ride fecking awful.

Good springs for the Vr are H&R or PI if you are on a bit more of a budget, both around a 35-40mm drop.

The spax site rated them at 40mm drop.

I've looked into the weitec shocks and they do have different ride height slots on the rears, in fact all their corrado rear shocks have the same part numbers!

I've just got to work out how to take out the rear shocks to check/change them.

im looking into it at the moment, guy at work can do it, however to fit my new wheels on, it looks like im gonna need to flair mine.

All right Baz.

Where? How much?

Your local bodyshop can do it, either roll or trim and reseal, £50 a corner approx.