Sign in to follow this  
VR6*MarkOfTheBeast*

Help...i need to make my VR faster!

Hi all,

bought my vr about three weeks ago. it's got a miltek cat back stainless system and a K&N pannel filter and as far as i know the rest is standard.

problem is my mate has run 14.5 quarters in his polo G40.

a standard vr should do a quarter in 15.something so i was wondering if i could spend a £500 or aso and knock the quarter mile time down to the mid/low 14's in time for GTI fest!

i don't want to strip the car out!

cheers!

Simple answer is no, not for £500, think £2000 minimum for a chance at mid 14s.

Put some standard wheels on and you'd gain a few tenths ...

Not an option. i am in love with my BBS :D . just out of intrest, is that a wieght or rolling radius issue?

i'm not really into swapping things round/taking stuff out for a quarter run either, IMO unless you leave it like that then it's not a true reflection of the cars performance.

Weight, and weight distribution. Because the rim is further "out" from the centre of the wheel, you need to put more energy into making the wheel turn.

Honestly, lots of people have reported noticeable performance increases when switching to smaller wheels.

Note that if you don't want to lose any performance when increasing the diameter of your wheels you have to choose a new wheel that weighs proportionally LESS than the originals.

Weight, and weight distribution. Because the rim is further "out" from the centre of the wheel, you need to put more energy into making the wheel turn.

Honestly, lots of people have reported noticeable performance increases when switching to smaller wheels.

Note that if you don't want to lose any performance when increasing the diameter of your wheels you have to choose a new wheel that weighs proportionally LESS than the originals.

intresting! thanks

so is the rs a heavy wheel then?

are we talking magnesium wheels?

RS is not a heavy wheel and simply swapping to lighter 15s will do very little for outright performance gains although the car will may subjectively feel a little livelier

Smaller/lighter wheels will improve acceleration, but won't change top speed (assuming you didn't alter the final drive ratio or rolling radius).

So it really depends what you mean by "outright performance"..?

look into getting a shorter final drive, that will improve your 1/4 times. Thats doable for £500.

Only problem with the shortened final drive, say 3.68 like mine, is it would be wheel spin city without an LSD in there!! I still get a little wheel spin if I'm not carefull pulling off in the wet.

Yep. No one ever looks at the gearbox as a way of improving performance.

Short gearing [and lots of revs] is how the Clio 197 and Civic Type R get respectable performance figures :lol:

The 3.68 final drive from a G60 + quaife diff will give a big advantage on the 1/4 mile, both in terms of traction off the line and improved acceleration. And it's still nice on the road, with 90mph for 4000rpm instead of 100, it's much more flexible and what the VR motor needs.

And yeah, as Craziscot added, wheel spin can be a probem in the wet in first but not for me as I hate 1st gear and only use it to get moving.... 2nd and 3rd are the proper accelerative gears....and 4th if the torque is there....

Final drive? Will you even hit fifth by the time you reach the end of quarter mile? :D

not without

a stupid power

b stupidly low fd or

c BOTH

What's 5th got to do with anything?!?! The Final drive lowers *all* the gear ratios, so if you cross the line in 4th or 5th, what does it matter? The point is the lower FD makes the car more accelerative, and yes, you can still grab 60 in 2nd with the 3.68.....

Or do a track day with him I know what would be quicker between my two around corners.