Sign in to follow this  
vwdeviant

Who's running Leon Brembos on a VR?

Anyone?

Been chewing the Turbo VR brake issue with Therapor and wondered what isues to running Cupra R Brembos ....

Can anyone help?

Main issue is that the brembos stick out pretty far on a VR, so u need to select a wheel with exceptionable brake clearance and the right offset.

here are some that will clear:

7x17 TT competition

17 Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2

8x17 OZ Super Tourismos - Alex303 has these.

8x17inch Compomotive MO

8x17 Rota Forces

You can pretty much wave goodbye to anything with a dish.

4 stud corrados are easier with Brembos due to having a shorter track.

Yeah? Someone call my name?

What do you want to know?

I have the 323mm setup under 7x17 Compomotive MO's. Loadsa clearance.

Use Ferodo pads if you get the option. Buy the kits from "Badger5" Bill Brockbank if you want a good price.

Also can any-one compere to VAG 312's too?

Seat is VAG Group....

Shut it Gimp-boy.... I meant Audi TT/ VW 4-mo brakes...

So now you've finished slapping my chum Toad, do you want to know about Brembo brakes or the sheetty standard VAG items they put on a Golf 4Motion ?

Cheers John.... Dave and I were talking about various 5 stud upgrades and since having my eyeballs reomved my PhilK's Leon CupraR's Brembos I don't really see an alternative.. but wasn't sure about issues on fitting to Rados.

You may ant to drop Therapor a PM as he's a bit busy and see what questions he has (I know clearence over his OZ's is one major concern)

Also can any-one compere to VAG 312's too?

Seat is VAG Group....

Shut it Gimp-boy.... I meant Audi TT/ VW 4-mo brakes...

Hehehe...

Anyway any information is probably better in this thread so other people can find it and things don't get repeated...

Didn't Phat put his 4Mo brakes on his corrado once or something??

marcus, not sure the Prorace 1.2s will clear mate, but the ProRace 1s defo will.

corozin, which Ferodo compound are you using? DS2500? I've tried a few different pads, just looking for comparisons.

Hi, I'm in the middle of test fitting Brembo Cupra Calipers and Leon (4 stud) 305 disc. First attempt didn't work as the brackets on the calipers were for Cupra Discs. I now have Leon brackets and hope for a good fit.

I'll post what happens after the next test fit.

Leon discs are 5 stud mate.... you need the ibiza discs for 4 stud.... and you will need the ibiza caliper carrier to position the caliper correctly

[corozin, which Ferodo compound are you using? DS2500? I've tried a few different pads, just looking for comparisons.

Not sure of the exact index number, but I called Bill Brockbank and asked for a fast road/trackday pad for Brembo and he recommended the Ferodo ones. I have to say they are bloody excellent; much better feel and more powerful than the (stock) pads they replaced, and they maintained thier performance really well at Combe last month, even when they were red hot.

I would certainly recommend the Ferodo upgrade. If you go on track you'll find they're great and if you only use them on the road you'll find they're more than good enough without the "hardness" that some pads (e.g. red stuff) are known for.

HTH

John

as stated above i'm running the same setup as Corozin with the 323x28mm discs, i went for the grooved jobbies (courtesy of Mr Brockbank) as Bill recomended them for fast road use.

As Marcus said i'm running 17x8" OZ Racing Superturismo's (think they're ET38 but will check), clearance is still tight though as they are fookin chunky calipers, think there's not much more then a few mm between the calipers & the back of my OZ's spokes.

There's some helpfull info on the Brembo website (bit of a clearance guide) which may assist you, try this:-

http://www.brembo.com/CatalogoHPGT/Deta ... idLingua=1

All in all they're definitely one of the best upgrades that the C's had so far, love the extra stopping power & feel they give, can't really compare them to the TT 312's as went straight from the stock 280's to the Brembo's. Only used them a few times in real anger to get me out of 'serious' trouble & they hauled the the old beast down bloody fast and without any drama

I too though am definitely switching to the Ferodo pads later in the year as have heard a lot of good reports about them from both modded VAG & non-VAG drivers so they're gotta be worth investing in!

Alex

edit: just found this pic from when Darren fitted them!

excellent advise Alex, cheers :)

think i'm gonna have issues with my Oz Sinfonia though :-/

no worries mate, must admit my OZ's we're an unexpected expense on top of the brakes too (used to run some 16" TT alloys before but there was no way they'd have cleared them) but hey ho suppose its all a learning curve!

@Alex303, the clearance you have on those looks about the same as I had on my first VR6 when I ran the 328mm Brembo kit under some 8x17 Mim Amalfi wheels (see pic) . There was barely enough clearance to get a feeler gauge into the gap.

And therein lies the problem with fitting the 323mm Brembos - clearance. Even with an 8x17 wheel there are a lot of wheel designs that won't clear, and you can forget putting anything like 7½x17 BBS rims over them.

I'm sure the calipers on the 323mm & 328mm kits are wider than the 305mm & 312mm ones, as I know that G60Renshaw ran 305 Brembos under 7x17 BBS RCs.

@Therapor - if you think clearance is a problem, then the Tarox 6 pots are nice and slim -see attached picture. Wheels are 7½x17 BBS RK2. A bit more expensive than the Brembos but still effective (I have driven the car concerned and they were fine)

Hope this helps in some way!

John

Not sure of the exact index number, but I called Bill Brockbank and asked for a fast road/trackday pad for Brembo and he recommended the Ferodo ones. I have to say they are bloody excellent; much better feel and more powerful than the (stock) pads they replaced, and they maintained thier performance really well at Combe last month, even when they were red hot.

I would certainly recommend the Ferodo upgrade. If you go on track you'll find they're great and if you only use them on the road you'll find they're more than good enough without the "hardness" that some pads (e.g. red stuff) are known for.

HTH

John

Cheers for that. It's probably the DS2500s you've got if you paid around £65 for the set. All other Ferodo compounds except the DS are track only.

I've tried the DS2500s and wasn't that impressed and the DS3000 contains too much iron, therefore wrecks wheel finishes, but it's a pure race pad though.

I'm currently on Yellow stuffs and they're better than the DS2500s in my application, and they're only £40 in the AP pad profile :-)

The most evil pads I've used to date in terms of high friction and initial bite are the Pagid Greys....but they cost bucks.....£160. They seriously stop you though, with the minimum of pedal effort. The dust is a bit evil like the DS3000s though, so I stopped using them.

Anyway, I'll have a chat with Mr Brockbank and see what he recommends on the Ferodo front. The DS2.11 sounds very much like the Pagid grey, so might give those a whirl.

@Cheesewire:

The Ferodo pads I bought were £110 delivered if that's any guide. They may be a more race-based pad. What I can say is that they don't suffer from brake dust as badly as the old (Brembo) pads did, but then again I'm not a "shiny wheels" type person anymore so I'm not really that bothered by that side of it - hence black Compomotives these days :o)

John

@Cheesewire:

The Ferodo pads I bought were £110 delivered if that's any guide. They may be a more race-based pad. What I can say is that they don't suffer from brake dust as badly as the old (Brembo) pads did, but then again I'm not a "shiny wheels" type person anymore so I'm not really that bothered by that side of it - hence black Compomotives these days :o)

John

Nice one, cheers. I'll give the Brockers a ring and see which ones they are then. I don't care about dust either. I like the "hard driven" look ;-) Just so long as the dust eat into the laquer I'm not bothered.....and I only care about that because it's a pain to clean off, when I actually get round to washing the car.