Sign in to follow this  
DEL VR6

Who has painted their brake calipers red?

Have done a search for this and not found the info / advice i need.

Am about to fit my 312's soon and want to paint the calipers red. (Yes i know some might say if you want them to look like Brembos, buy brembos etc etc but thats another story really)

Before i do it, i want to make sure i do it right to get the perfect finish. Want to get that high gloss finish that looks nice and thick. (Like porsches!)

Has anyone done it already? / got any pictures / advice on what products are good / bad / to avoid etc.

Thanks in advance.

Mine are red, have a click on the gallery in my signature, there a pic somehwere in there of my 288s with the wheel off.

I ues Halfords paint and have found it really good, build up plenty of coats and they come out looking like the paint has been poured on them...

and they come out looking like the paint has been poured on them...

thats what im talking about. will have a butchers later.

Was the paint like a halfords own brand? i've seen a few products for this kind of job. some are two part, some are one and some u spray on. :?

I have 312s, painted in 3 coats of red smooth Hammerite, the finish is excellent. Always come back to clean and clear red after each wash.

Good Tip: Paint them outside in a shed or somthing and leave them in a cool place to dry as Hammerite drys quicker in the cool than warm for some reason.

The stuff i used was in a tin, no hardener required...

Just get a set of cheapie paint brushes..

I used hammerite on my OE callipers too, no probs with peeling and blistering due to heat and now you can get smooth hammerite its even better, just don't apply a second coat after the first has gone touch dry as the two react and give a rubbish crinkly finish!

I did mine with the expensive 2-part Foliatec stuff that comes with brake cleaner (also useful for cleaning your MAF :lol: )

It sticks like nothing I've ever seen and only took the one coat to look super glossy and thick.

But then it was £14 or so... :?

And yeah - if you do use Hammerite follow the instructions and put a second coat on within 4hrs of the first otherwise you'll get a crap finish.

the guy at Halford insisted on me using hammerite red paint. little tin that cost £5.49p

any one got any pics of a set thats been done in this?

Might work ok on larger calipers - so you'll be fine and look smart! , but Id sooner steer clear of painting standard ones unless you only plan to pootle about. Thier ability to disapate the heat is already a bit naff, and painting any bright colour will only contain the heat further and help overheat the poor little feklers. I know Brembo do it, but they tend to have a large surface area that can disapate the heat ok; recon' VW ones may start off life shiney gold but soon become nice and dull; you wont see an F1 car with shiny brakes.

brake4.gif

you wont see an F1 car with shiny brakes.

Well to be fair that's because (a) they don't need to carry the weight of the paint and (b) because F1 calipers can't really be seen inside those piddly little wheels they fit to an F1 car and © because the calipers are removed and stripped after every race weekend anyway, so they don't exactly stay mucky for long !

If you're loaded, came across this the other day. Complete caliper overhaul - new seals, pistons etc - plus aerospace-style coating in a variety of colours including red. Prices are for two calipers, not cheap but maybe worth a look if you can afford it / you're terminally lazy :-)

Thier ability to disapate the heat is already a bit naff, and painting any bright colour will only contain the heat further and help overheat the poor little feklers.

Thats why i got mine done here

http://www.camcoat.u-net.com/Coatings.htm

TLTD

Thermal dispersant coating designed to expedite heat loss from cooling surfaces. Chemical/corrosion resistant, cosmetically appealing finish.

the guy at Halford insisted on me using hammerite red paint. little tin that cost £5.49p

any one got any pics of a set thats been done in this?

redrearcalipers.jpg

looks like brushing it on is the way to go then. Goldie, how long did you leave in between coats? and were they lost of thin coats or did you lay it on quite thick?

DSC01117.jpg

i've just been out and bought these bits, is that all i need, may attempt this today, settled for black paint, as i'm not sure about red calipers yet

story so far, can't get front wheel off :lol: garage have really tighten the nuts up so am going to get them to take em off, before i round them off, already broke the wheel brace :lol:

so did a rear one, only 1 coat of hammerite so far

yeah i thought red was a bit too boyracer :lol:

before:

DSC01118.jpg

after

DSC01120.jpg

DSC01119.jpg

gotta watch the paint now for 4hrs, then do another coat :lol:

not as clean as some of you guys' cars, but its better than it was

can the hubs be painteD?

Erm - isn't it supposed to be a second coat within 4hrs?

Erm - isn't it supposed to be a second coat within 4hrs?

the tin says

2nd coat- between 4-8hrs :)

Some more discussion here:

http://the-corrado.net/.archive/forum/viewtopic. ... 513&hilit=

This seems to happen all the time - every time I decide on a mod, and haul myself off the sofa to go and buy the stuff, I find more info that throws a spanner in the works.

Just to check then - if I paint my standard calipers with Hammerite or some other paint, will they not work as well in terms of dissipating the heat? I don't want to reduce the performance of my brakes just to make them look pretty... 8)

3corsameal - have you painted your arches with Hammerite as well? Anyone recommend this? I don't think there's any rust in there, but I don't want to seal any in if there is.

no i have just cleaned the arches, i think i am going to waxoyl over the metal parts, all seems in A1 condition

Just my twopence worth, but I really don't think you should be too worried about this heat dissiption issue. You've really got to drive it like you stole it all the time, or do some serious track use to get calipers so hot that you damage them. The roads in this country seldom allow the former, and if you are into the latter, then I suggest you fit a proper brake set up like Brembo, Tarox or AP Racing anyway.

I have just painted a set of 288s in Hammerite smooth silver and intend to fit them soon. Even with a 'charger fitted, I won't be doing them any damage. I certainly haven't damaged my standard 280 calipers yet. They are still a clean and shiny gold colour, and to contradict someone else here, haven't discoloured - through either heat or brake dust, despite using very dirty Pagid FR pads.

Cheers fellas. Will get down to Halfords ASAP. What I really fancy is a set of those ceramic Porsche brakes that catch fire if you rinse them too hard. As long as it's someone else's Porsche that is...