Sign in to follow this  
bananawhip

Help Help Help Help

I am in urgent need of a bit of advice,

Around a week ago I took my 50mm inlet manifold and rocker cover off to have them powder coated and now my C has serious issues.

Since refitting them my C just loses all engine power for a brief moment from time to time. Today it got so bad that the car just died and wouldn't start. Turns over just fine and the fuel pump primes but it won't fire up.

I fitted the manifold orignally and normally do quite a good job at being an amature mechanic but this time I've messed up pretty bad by the looks of it.

Any advice would be appreciated as if it happens again on the way to work I'll be fired. Then I'll have to resort to selling my Valver and taking up a life of male prostitution. Breaking down and crying every time a Corrado drives past then throwing stones at it out of pure jealousy.

was the rocker cover powder coated on the internal faces?

i know a chap who fitted a rocker cover that was powder coated and has totally fcuked the complete engine

did you replace the manifold gaskets and what sort of nick were the injector seals in?

Do all the usual stuff of checking for sparks etc and test the resistance of the plug leads, disszy cap, rotor arm, plugs themselves and so on.

you disturbed a fair few things doing the cam cover and manifold, you could have caused a number of things to fail and vacuum leaks seem quite a possibility.

was the rocker cover powder coated on the internal faces?

i know a chap who fitted a rocker cover that was powder coated and has totally fcuked the complete engine

painting the inside of an engine doesn't seem like a particularly good idea :roll: :lol:

Thanks for the feedback, I should've made myself a touch clearer though.

My rocker cover was polised on the outside only and my manifold was powder coated. I had a go at taking some of the carbon build-up off the inside of the manifold with a drill and a wire brush bit. I did an ok job at getting all the flakes of carbon out afterwards but I don't know if this could be a factor.

If I've killed my engine then I'll probably set fire to my car with me in it...not easy this whole running a Corrado malarky is it :cry:

did you replace the manifold gaskets and what sort of nick were the injector seals in?

Do all the usual stuff of checking for sparks etc and test the resistance of the plug leads, disszy cap, rotor arm, plugs themselves and so on.

you disturbed a fair few things doing the cam cover and manifold, you could have caused a number of things to fail and vacuum leaks seem quite a possibility.

Sorry just read this reply after I wrote mine.

I didn't replace the gaskets as I only fitted it originally a few months ago, They seemed in good enough condition. Would a leak somewhere along the inlet tract cause this kind of thing?

It's bizarre, I can be driving along happy enough then for a second or two my engine will just completey die then kick back in again.

Idles fine, sounds fine, still performs with the blisteringly pants performance a Valver does normally, Just this one annoying little fault it's decided to aquire.

I take it you took the lower mani off as well? if so could there now be a problem with the injectors? perhaps they're not sitting in their holes quite correctly?

yeah I took the whole lot off,

Funny you saying that though as when I put the injectors back in they didn't really seem to pop in like the last time I took it all apart. They seem seated well enough though.

Is it easy enough to change the little seal bits on them?

yeah I took the whole lot off,

Funny you saying that though as when I put the injectors back in they didn't really seem to pop in like the last time I took it all apart. They seem seated well enough though.

Is it easy enough to change the little seal bits on them?

sometimes, do them when a bit warm, that helps.

Engine dying stuff is usually ignition related though, fuel would be more coughing and spluttering??

Have you checked the dizzy and sparks yet? VW dizzys are prone to failures in my experience.

My bro has a 2l valver and his just died like yours. Turned out to be a seal on the dizzy that was letting oil in! On a mk3 golf i had (and a mates old beetle), the little metal clip on the external plastic dizzy casing was causing a short and was firing ok but no spark down the leads so wouldnt run. Took a while to figure that one out.

Engine dying stuff is usually ignition related though, fuel would be more coughing and spluttering??

Yes i agree.....

Ignition switch?

Right, I know engine starting problems are about as much fun to talk about as the current inflation rate but I am having Corrado withdrawel symptoms and need my fix.

I'll tell you where I currantly stand as I seem to be making progress...

My engine will now no longer start, When I turn the key I can hear the clicking from what I assume is the ignition switch so I'm guessing thats fine.

When turning it over I'm also pretty sure I'm not getting any spark to the plugs using one of those little jobs you put in between the wire and the plug so all fingers are pointing at it being ignition.

The dizzy cap and rotor arm have been recently replaced and when inspected look fine, No crap or gunk under the cap and the arm spins fine when trying to start it up. The earth strap from the dizzy/rocker cover is in good condition also. Dunno what a hall sender is or if I've got one but I've seen it mentioned in a previous post for a non starter so could that apply to me also?

I have no instruments to test the coil and wouldn't know what I'm looking for anyway to be honest. All the HT leads look fine and my lupo wipers haven't fallen off yet (nothing to do with anything I know but thought I'd pass on the good news).

My cars getting to that age now where I can't justify spending too much on it to get it sorted so anymore suggestions would be more then welcome...Sorry to ask but I'm clueless.

have you had to tamper with the oxygen sensor Lamba sensor as my Corrado had lack of power as you described and it was where the lamba sensor had become disconected causing it to start poory and run rough a shot in the dark but thought it might be worth mentioning :?