PhillT

Vr6 recommended Spark plugs

:oops: sorry if this has already been covered but I've searched and came up with nothing

going to give the VR a good service today (bar the HT leads as they're not here yet :mad2: which is the one thing it desperately needs!)

anyway, phoned VW for the parts.. they want £9+ each for spark plugs, which IMHO is complete madness but I'd rather get the good/right stuff than cheap stuff that'll give up a week down the line

can anyone recommend what the best plugs are for VR6's? recall reading somewhere that the 4-core bosch ones are not good for the engine (or words to that effect) which is annoying as I always go for these

thanks for your help guys

The dealers are now supplying platinum plugs by default. You want the same, but without the platinum. They're NGKs, I forget the model number now ..

Go here

BKR5EKU £3.50 + vat

BKR5EKUP £6.70 + vat

Ah that's great thanks :thumb right: local halfords does NGK plugs so will pop in there with the part numbers, ideally want them changed today but I've bookmarked that link for next time

so not only would VW overcharge me (no suprise there really) but they'd also supply the wrong parts

tut tut.. still, gonna be better than F*rd dealerships :lol:

so not only would VW overcharge me (no suprise there really) but they'd also supply the wrong parts

No, they're the right parts, they're just the "long life" plugs, that's all. The plats are supposed to last for 40k miles, while the standards are replaced every 20k.

If they work out at less than twice the price, that's not too shabby a concept.

All of these plugs will work on the VR6 and I'll be buggered if I can tell the difference between them, except the Brisk ones, which are feckin amazing plugs!

Golf 16V - Bosch

BKR5EIX Iridium - NGK

BKR5EU - NGK (previous dealer spec)

BKR5EUP - NGK (current dealer spec)

D12S Silver tip - Brisk

V Power racing - NGK

Audi S3 - NGK

And so on and so forth....

I did 20k miles on the Beru ones from GSF and they were perfect, never missed a beat. Best bit, about £2 each. I've got some of the £7 iridiums now and they dont perform noticeably different. The Berus where hardly worn at all either, only replaced them because no 1 and 6 were a bit oily.

All of these plugs will work on the VR6 and I'll be buggered if I can tell the difference between them, except the Brisk ones, which are feckin amazing plugs!

Golf 16V - Bosch

BKR5EIX Iridium - NGK

BKR5EU - NGK (previous dealer spec)

BKR5EUP - NGK (current dealer spec)

D12S Silver tip - Brisk

V Power racing - NGK

Audi S3 - NGK

And so on and so forth....

With regard to the Golf 16v plugs... I assume they are the same as I fitted to my KR 16v the other day? Bosch Super somethings??

Hope so, as I've got 3 knocking about spare...

It's the Bosch "Yytrium" 16V plugs GSF sell you need. Single electrode.

The older 3 and 4 electrode 16V plugs aren't especially liked by the VR.

Another plug that works really well and costs bugger all is the BKR5E for normally asp VRs, or BKR6E for Super/C, or BKR7E for turbo. These are very popular plugs and are also known as the NGK 'R' or V power.

It's the Bosch "Yytrium" 16V plugs GSF sell you need. Single electrode.

The older 3 and 4 electrode 16V plugs aren't especially liked by the VR.

Another plug that works really well and costs bugger all is the BKR5E for normally asp VRs, or BKR6E for Super/C, or BKR7E for turbo. These are very popular plugs and are also known as the NGK 'R' or V power.

Great news. Cheers Kev...

I got quoted a silly price by the dealers so went to Partco autoparts and got 6 NGK (BKR5EKU) plugs for £21 all in. :) And they hold them in stock (Halfords didn't)